SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calypsochick

conflicting quartzite!

calypsochick
13 years ago

Hi, everyone. So ages ago, I had decided to use a quartzite called Classic White for my kitchen countertop. (I wanted the look of marble as I know a lot of people do, but knew that would not be practical for me personally.)

The guy at the granite yard told me that they called this stone I liked white granite, but it was really quartzite, and that it was pretty strong, durable, no problem for the kitchen, no stains, etc. and much better than marble. Sold!

But then, months later, I crazily and accidentally dropped my laptop right on top of the quartzite sample. And the laptop gouged out a huge line/scratch in the stone. That freaked me out. I took my fingers, pens, scissors and knives to it, and they left scratch marks. I guess I wouldn't be vigorously scratching my countertops like that, but it did seem easily scratchable...like, if I dragged a pot or my stand mixer, maybe it would leave marks.

When it was time to template, the templator from the same company told me that he would personally not recommend using quartzite in the kitchen. He said it was a soft stone and will scratch, stain, etc. And then when we went back to the same granite yard, ANOTHER guy there told us the same thing and said he would not recommend the quartzite at all, that things like orange juice will stain it! He said in two years we probably won't be happy with it. And that they make you sign a waiver when you buy quartzite.

So now I have no idea what to do. I didn't really like much of the regular granite I saw. I don't know if I should just use Misty Carrera Caesarstone instead.

For people who have used "white granite"/quartzite and who do use their kitchens WELL, what has been your experience? Most things I read in the forum seem to be pretty positive so far...

Thanks!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus