SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianalo_loco

Reeeee-jected and it feels so good!

dianalo
13 years ago

I have never been so happy to be rejected before. The guy from the town zoning dept called to say we were rejected for our permits.... FINALLY!

The reason that is such good news is they refused to even take our plans in before thanks to the many errors and omission done by our architect.

We knew we'd be rejected going in and would need a variance, so this just makes it official and moves us one step forward.

OTOH - the next time the board meets is 9/30 and it is too late for us to give the required notice to our neighbors in case they want to challenge our variance (no one did the last time). So, we will have to wait to go in front of the board until 10/28. Once it is official, our gc can kick the plans into gear by ordering the building supplies and off we go! He said we can start breaking ground/ripping off the back of our house within 10 days to 2 weeks.

It will not be fun to have our house ripped apart in Nov (in NY), but we have little choice. Our roof/gutters/soffits can't make it through another winter. I am ready to put up with almost anything to get this show on the road. We are approx 4 years behind schedule, lol.....

Comments (9)

• marthavila
    13 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS, DIANA!!!! I so get how this rejection is really such wonderful news. I'd been following your project closely from the moment you first started posting some years ago. Then, the bottom kind of fell out and many us of not only felt your pain but also your subsequent absence. So, if it was great to see you back here, it's even 10x greater to see you back here now so much stronger and wiser and with a serious bang! You are definitely gonna go all the way this time.
    And, in all likelihood, your kitchen will be better than you first conception of it. Isn't it amazing how sometimes our setbacks can end up as our blessings? Woo hoo! I just can't wait to see that lavender backsplash! :-)

• dianalo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is almost too scary to truly believe yet. I feel like Charlie Brown and that darn football in regards to this house.
    This time, we have the financing and it is in our account, the permits were finally rejected and the only remaining stumbling block is the variance. Since we got the variance 3 years ago, it should be a piece of cake, but with the new regime in the town hall, all bets are off, according to anyone who has dealt with the town.
    I did make nice with the commissioner and was promised a "fast track" to approval, but our architect has stood firmly in our way ever since. Now, we seem to be past that part and it is hard to believe we may be close.
    I thought we were weeks out, 3 years ago after we had the variance, only to get crushed.
    Then we had been on track to start demo in late Aug.
    Now, it appears that we will break ground in early-mid Nov.
    Our winters get cold, so I hope they will not leave our house all opened up for any length of time. They did say they get it buttoned up usually the same day, but I am skeptical. I also know the new space will not have heat in it for a while, so our house will be cold. I may have my husband and sons sleep at my mil's house (I'd rather freeze, lol) if it gets rough. I can get an electric blanket or such and will muddle through.
    It still feels surreal....

• plllog
    13 years ago

I don't suppose you could get hold of all your neighbors and get the ones who aren't interested in going before the board to sign a waiver of notice?

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Wish you all the best with your hearing. I'm glad the plans are finally ok.

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Four years and you've still kept your sense of humor! (And now I have that Peaches and Herb song going through my head.) So glad that things are moving along for you.

• la_koala
    13 years ago

Congratulations on this milestone!

I too have been following your story because of the architect part (I too have an architect that I am not so sure of). I'm glad to hear that you are another step closer.

I'm really surprised that the board doesn't meet every two weeks. Or is it because you need 30 days notification time for the abutters?

Please keep us posted about the winter construction progress. I'm also having work started in the winter in New England with a portion of the roof changing, so I'd love to hear how you are coping!

-Lee

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Haven't been following but summer is worse than winter here now -- at the rate we're going Nov could be 50! Hope so for your sake and will follow.

• dianalo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Our board meets on 9/30 and 10/14 but is "booked" for those dates. We also need time to notify the neighbors. I might be able to get pushed into the 10/14 date, but that will be special treatment and is not a sure thing. I made friends with the very arbitrary commissioner, so have a long list of high up town employees who may pull strings on my behalf, but have to count on the 10/28 date for now.

Since we had the variance approved last time, there have been many code changes or even just that they enforce what used to slide. Our plans are for less than last time, so it should be a no brainer, other than the fact that the game has changed in the interim.

Our GC won't really order materials until it is clear we can proceed. Luckily (or not), we have most of our materials picked out and approx 75% on premises already. Any delay on materials will not come from us, lol....

Today it was over 80 degrees, so Nov could be 50 or could be -50, lol. We usually do not see snow until late Dec, so we are hoping that hold true this year. The ground is not fully frozen until late, but I am more concerned about living here in the cold with functioning heat. We have suffered through 4 summers with almost no a/c (only the one in our sons' room is any good and our bedroom has the only other one, and that one is ancient). I figure since we got through that, we could always layer clothes in cool weather, and maybe be ok. It seems like we have no choice, so it will be what it will be.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support. I feel like I have called "wolf" before, but this time he might actually be getting close, lol.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

Congrats! I can't believe it has been four years for you. You deserve some good news. Everyone has bumps in the road and you have had enough. I am sure everything going forward in your remodel will be a piece of cake.