SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Would this blueish quartzite be a mistake? Pics

Madeline616
12 years ago

Hello,

While looking for white marble for my kitchen countertops, I came across this "Sky Pearl" Quartzite. I love it, but my designer feels it would be a big mistake in terms of potentially turning off future buyers (will likely sell in 5 years).

I love color and have been never been afraid of it. I know a lot of people like blue/bluish stones, but I also understand the importance of keeping it neutral.

I'm thinking of pairing it with a CornuFe 110 in french blue, or in stainless (which I'd try to take with me when we move).

Thoughts about whether you, as a potential buyer, would be "turned off" by these countertops?

Also wondering if anyone has experience with light quartzites as far as staining.

Current kitchen:

{{gwi:1461824}}

Thanks!!

Comments (36)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Either you are a blue person or you aren't. I'm not, at least in my home decor. (I wear a lot of blue because it makes my blue eyes pop.). That stone is gorgeous, but if I was looking to buy I'd be turned off from the kitchen with that stone because of the blue. If you're looking at re-sale, I would think hard about going more neutral.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Except for the dark line running down the center, I think the stone is gorgeous. I am a blue girl however...

• Related Discussions

need help with quartzite & walnut match

Q

Comments (11)
    That's a beautiful stone, and your cabs are equally as visually pleasing. I think they'll make a nice pairing. As to the cost, it's really your decision. I can say that I overspent in my kitchen for my neighborhood for both appliances and counters. I live in modest neighborhood where most kitchens are still the original late 60's-early 70's, with some having gotten new laminate or painted their dark cabs lighter over the years. This is my forever house. I cook every meal, every day. I really enjoy cooking, baking, and experimenting with new foods. For me, all of that added up to buying the best cooking equipment (appliances) I could afford with the features I want for better function. For form, I opted for expensive Carrara counters. They are stunning, IMHO. Everyday I love to stare and them and run my hands over them. Breaking the cost down over 30+ years makes it totally worth it to me. I'd do exactly the same thing again if given the chance. HTH!
    ...See More

Horrible Mistake to use Formica 180fx Calacatta Marble?

Q

Comments (65)
    @Brenda Hagel do you mind me asking what the cost of your countertop was? My kitchen looks like a similar size (maybe a bit bigger), and I love the look of the Calacutta Marble but am worried it will be considerably more expensive than a regular Formica laminate. Does anyone know the difference in cost between regular laminate and the 180fx series? Is the 180fx still a high pressure laminate? Thanks for your help. P.S. I am in Canada, so please specify if talking about USD or CAD, thanks!
    ...See More

Which Quartzite do you like better? (pic's)

Q

Comments (66)
    I just posted a question about London Sky using the slab tinker shared in the original post...so, the London Sky slab that was being considered is a quartzite, not a quartz? People at the slab yards have no idea have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask if they have a quartzite called London Sky. Did you finally choose the Madre Perla? We love it and are strongly considering it but I wish I could see London Sky in person. We're set on Brazilian cherry floors, a rich blue island with mahogany countertop, white perimeter cabinets with quartzite countertop, just not sure which one. Not worrying about paint or backsplash yet. Would love to see photos of your finished kitchen! This was my original inspiration photo - minus some of the bling - I just want a grayer but still warm countertop for perimeter:
    ...See More

Yikes I see so many white kitchens! Am I making a mistake?

Q

Comments (68)
    PineBaron I'm with your DW on white or really dark, but I've had the white (although not my first choice at the moment) and gonna go for the really dark. Glad to hear I have a buddy in the process :) Sounds like you have a similar color scheme and other ideas I'm going for. I don't know why it makes me feel good to know that I'm not out in lala land with my ideas. lol omg i just clicked on the link! are you kidding me. that is gorgeous property, view, home! Loveit! the interior, the kitchen is what i envision on a smaller scale. I even have several sizes of that long bar hardware pictured in your kitchen drawing. Love the stacked cabinets . May I ask how tall those cabinets are stacked? such a cool look. Just wondering if there is a rule for stacking sizes? I like it when the bottom one is still somewhat tall then the top more of a square. Not sure if I have the ceiling height, but looks like you will! Living room, bathroom love. wow thanks for sharing all the pics. i'm gonna go read the whole thread and I'll be following you! good luck your blessed to have all that, enjoy! thanks again for sharing :)
    ...See More
  • editionk
    12 years ago

I'm no pro but (1) If you're living there for the next 5 years and you already love it, then go with it. One year might be different. (2) It's still quite neutral. And, seems to me, no more risky of offsetting a potential buyer than the colors you currently have -- it's not like you're doing blood red, right?! Get it!

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

spoken as nicely as possible ---- are you serious?

what is your goal in doing the kitchen over? is there some glaring need? If you are already thinking of a move in 5 years, I wouldn't do anything to change it. The kitchen you pictured is lovely (& neutral). Maybe the granite might not be your first choice pick, but it is, for you, temporary.... and not jump in your face, annoyingly loud and clashing.

If nothing will make you happy but a remodel? redo? resurface? (not sure what you are planning), the quartzite is very nice and, in my opinion, not too "blue" to turn off buyers. I'd prefer the lines to go along the countertop, not to the back of it though.

I guess you can tell what I'd do if the kitchen were mine though... pocket the money and call it a day. No change. 5 years is not a long time to live with a very nice, neutral kitchen.

and buy that wonderful cornufe when you know you aren't moving anymore and it can stay with you. (in my experience, appliances don't travel between houses well....)

but... it's your kitchen, your money, your choice.

• maybeiloveyou
    12 years ago

I agree with lawjedi. Your current kitchen is actually very beautiful (LOVING the stove area!).

I would not be turned off by the quartzite, it's a beautiful stone and would look great. I too would prefer the lines in the stone to run horizontal rather than vertical once it's in the kitchen.

(but again, your current kitchen won't turn anyone off either!)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

In the photo, it looks somewhat neutral to me - what will you pair it with and how much will you use? Your house looks fairly high-end. The run-of-the-mill advice about keeping everything neutral (pottery-barny) does not always apply as you go up in price point. When I was staging my home, I thought I should get rid of a Bassarabian rug that was very taste-specific and put in sisal. My realtor said ... no, people expect something more than sisal. Just an interesting viewpoint.

If i were a buyer, I would be more annoyed by someone saying i could not have the fancy range. And in fact, unless you took it out and i never saw it, i would require it whether you tried to make it an exclusion or not...

I like your kitchen, but then I can't really see the "builder grade" granite you mention, and there are a lot of granites I strongly dislike, so I get it. But I would also assume you aren't pinching pennies here, since no one pinching pennies would spend money to redo the kitchen you show. With that in mind, you should do want you want.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

I agree with lawjedi and maybeiloveyou... I like your current kitchen the way it is. I'm not sure I would invest anything in that kitchen, unless you have extra money laying around. I mean, do you hate the current granite?? If no, then I would leave it alone. There are many of us here who would love to have a beautiful kitchen like yours, but don't have the space or the funds to do a kitchen that grand.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really appreciate the time you all took to provide such thoughtful feedback. I'm gathering that most wouldn't be turned off by the blue, but still, a few would, and I need to consider that.

Great advice, too, about the lines running horizontal. Not sure if slab is big enough to do the island that way, so something to think about.

Thanks for the complements. Lawjedi, I know it's a little crazy, but I've hated this granite from the minute I walked into the house 4 years ago, and have wanted marble/light/white stone for over 10 years. I have no idea if we'll ever be in a house for more than 5-10 years, so I've decided to just go for it.

In the end, the cooktop (which I do love) may well stay. I just have a big, bad crush on that french blue CornuFe 110. The stainless one makes my heart sing, too. But I'm thinking hard about Lawjedi's comment about appliances not historically traveling/transferring well from home to home.

The only other thing I'm definitely changing is the color of the island, window moulding, and 2 tall vertical cabinets flanking the stove. They'll be painted white to match the white cabinets, pulling it all together.
    I'm resisting a farmhouse sink and associated cabinet retrofitting, and probably keeping the beige travertine tiles around the range (some form of strange psychological rebellion against having grown up in a house where everything was beige and pink..can't stand beige, and I know, objectively, it's a great color!)

Comments/opinions/criticisms on any of this are welcome. DH is wonderful, but has zero interest in kitchen talk :-)

This forum has been invaluable. I hope I can be as helpful to other posters as so many kind members have been to me!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

One last thing -- i would wait to buy the CornuFe until you think you are in your "forever" home. You may want something bigger or it may have a certain decor where you no longer think you want French blue.

I understand granite loathing. When I did my last house, I used granite on one counter run and hated it right away. But back then (9 years ago) people said you just CANNOT use marble or limestone, my first choice. I hated that granite so much that I bought extra backsplash tile so I could replace the counter and keep the b/s, when I found something else. Never did and then i moved!

• User
    12 years ago

The stone doesn't seem too blue from the photos. Perhaps it is more so in person.

Regardless, I wouldn't want a blue countertop...

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL about the granite, mtnrdredux! Yes, at first I thought it was a cardinal sin to rip out granite and for the past 4 years I felt like I must be a jerk to even consider it.

But, I have a cabinetmaker acquaintance who is struggling to raise a family while returning to nursing school, and I'll give him the granite, which he'll recycle into a smaller island and some tile countertops.

I also had some life-changing experiences this year that have changed me a bit from always super-practical/responsible/spending on charitible giving and retirement savings to a little more "how long do I even have on this earth, anyway? I'm gonna do something a little indulgent..."

About the range, though, what you say is very true. Who knows if my next home will even have a gas hook up or a 43" space for a range? I just wish that darn stove would stop appearing in my dreams ;-) ;-)

• kmmh
    12 years ago

I know you were considering three different countertops. This one is pretty. Would it just go on the island?

And I have a quick question. Could you please tell me what is under your microwave and over your oven? Thanks!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I am a blue person, so I think your quartzite is beautiful. I would be much more turned off by the current stone, as I am NOT a brown/orange person. Not all neutrals appeal to everyone, IMHO.

If the quartzite goes with the brick around the range, then I would definitely go for it! :)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

If you were to put a CornuFe 110 in the kitchen, I can't imagine that a buyer would let you take it with you, because it is 43" wide and thus a non standard size, requiring a new countertop.

I also wonder about the potential turnoff to a buyer, if that is your mindset, of a range like this. I think it would be like a swimming pool. (If you don't want it you really don't want it), and someone make look at this as an $8000 appliance that they need to replace and redo the cabinetry around it as a consequence.

I, for example, would not buy a house with an Aga. I think they are interesting, but neither of us are interested in cooking on a non conventional range. I would think twice about buying a house with an older SubZero fridge simply because I would possibly need to spend $7000 for a specific replacement. (Unless I was planning on a new kitchen anyway)

I don't think you should remodel to suit some anonymous future buyer rather than yourself, but I since you are already thinking along these lines, these are other aspects I would consider.

• sochi
    12 years ago

Five years is a long time. It doesn't make sense to me to go to the trouble of removing the existing granite with something you don't love. If you were planning on flipping the house in a year, maybe don't do it. But it is a lovely stone, most would like it. If you love it and will love it for five years ... good enough, life is short. Don't worry about some hypothetical buyer that may or may not come along five years from now.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I'm not a granite fan either, so I understand wanting to rip it out. I wouldn't personally go to the trouble or expense, but I understand.

A future buyer could be turned off by the quartzite; it doesn't seem neutral to me.

I can't believe a dozen KF people have responded and not one has mentioned that soapstone would look great.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

In my area of the country, your kitchen is ready for resale right now and most especially your granite--that is such a popular color range.

If I had seen your picture without text, I would have written a solid paragraph of congratulations on what a great job you did with your remodel. I love the windows that go down to the granite level, the tiled alcove for the stove, the arches, the glass. Sure, I wouldn't have picked Santa Cecelia/New Venetian Gold, but...Together, it's gorgeous and if you'd handed it to me on a plate, I would have gladly taken it and called it a day.

People have mentioned the money but the other thing to think about is the stress and turmoil. Remodeling was tough and ours has been relatively smooth. There can be surprises with even the best laid plans. When they pull that granite up, and some cabinets get dinged up? Or the floor is damaged by somebody's tools or when the faucet unexpectedly shears during removal and you have water damage? The lovely granite slab you picked gets dropped and you need to find a substitute... There's no going back once you give a guy a Sawzall and a crowbar.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, all great (and scary, colorfast!) points. Lots more positives about the quartzite than I thought. Colorfast, thanks for the kind compliments.

KMMH, yes, if I go with Calacatta Crema, there is only one slab (pic below), so I'd do wenge wood buthcer block countertop, stainless countertop around stove.

Also see pic below, there are just 2 simple cabinets above my oven/microwave - 1 is open - and a nice size drawer below for baking sheets, etc. My standard poodle also made it into the shot ;-)

Colorfast, just curious...do you live in the Southern US? That's where I am, but I'm from the Northeast. The browns, beiges, reds and golds are extremely popular down here, although the transitional/contemporary/white marble look is beginning to come in a bit more.

Regarding the 43" CornuFe, I was going to either find a less expensive european range that would fit (before i put house on market), or redo the cabinets and countertop (I'll likely have a large remnant) to fit a standard 36" range before selling. All a lot of hassle, now that I'm forced to think about it and rationalize it in my own mind, and put it in writing!

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, and mpagmom, I think I'd love soapstone but don't know the first thing about it. I wonder about the availability here in the Southern US (New Orleans area).

I know it's soft, but does it also stain and etch readily, like marble?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I agree with those who urge you not to do much of anything. To go through the expense and hassle for using something for 5 years will not pay off enough IMHO. It will take time. You will live with dust and dirt and lose privacy. In the end, you may end up putting in items that buyers like the same as your current kitchen. If I were to buy your house, I'd rather pick my own stone. I have seen some very pretty counters, and some very ugly counters, get ripped out shortly after closing. It is in the eye of the beholder. The counters you have now are not your taste, and they would not be mine, but since you know you will be leaving in approx 5 years, I'd say your window of opportunity is almost passed. If you were going to do it a few years ago, with the same expected moving date, I'd have said to go for it if you can afford it. Five years could turn into only 4 and by the time it is done, it will cost you a pretty penny for short time use. The counters are not like an upgrade appliance that will be more energy efficient or nicer/more reliable to cook with. Your current counters would turn out the exact same meals the new one would.
    I understand that life is short, but if so, why not use the money to go away somewhere special with your family (a few times, lol). Use that money to buy lobster and filet mignon once a month... Drink nicer wine. Get a cleaning lady to come many times in the next 5 years. Get new furniture for your house that can easily move with you.

The counters will not change your life. They will cost money and you would like or love them, but the food won't taste different and your family will not appreciate them like you would. I don't see them adding to your financial bottom line. Your dh is already not interested in changing the kitchen. Once you and your family is stressed by the reality of the work and hassle involved, you know he will be quite annoyed with you. It is hard enough when both spouses are gung ho.

Even though you did not choose all the details, your kitchen is an "after" and not a "before". You paid handsomely to get it in the first place when you bought your house and buyers will pay you for it in a few years.

FWIW - the stone you chose is lovely. Is there any chance one of your bathroom vanity tops is looking ragged? Do you have a dresser top that could use refreshing? I don't think it would hurt resale, but it won't help either because you may lose buyers who aren't into blue while you gain a few who are. I am not into blue for my decor, but I'd view it as an asset none the less. Most buyers are happy to get a kitchen they can enjoy from day 1 but if you put something in that is taste specific then some may not be into it. They'd be happy to get the one you currently have.... If they don't love it and aren't excited to pay you for it, at least it did not cost you any extra money. They can get it for a better price and make changes they want.
    I also would not put in a stove that you already plan on taking with you. Up in NY, some buyers can't get mortgages if there isn't a stove in place. I know we can't get a c of o for our renovation because the stove cannot be hooked up yet. As mentioned, the size is custom and it would only open up a can of worms if you want to remove it.... Besides the cost of the stove, you will need the current one taken our and the new one professionally installed. Repeat when you sell in 5 years... You did not mention your current stove not working properly....

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Dianalo,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a kind and thoughtful response. All a good reality check. I definitely don't expect to get my $$ back, I know I won't unless I go with marble and someone who adores marble views the house (it's rare where I live, and a lot of people are just starting to awaken to how great it is!)

You and a lot of GWers are talking sense into me as far as the CornuFe. If I get the 43" 110, I"ll have to leave it. Otherwise I'll have to get the standard size, easily replaceable, 36" Albertine, which I"m not crazy about.

Thanks again, I'm touched that so many GWers care enough to help me sort through these decisions :-)

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I like the quartzite and can totally see it in the right kitchen. BUT...I don't think it works with the travertine tiles. Assuming you don't want to undertake replacing the tile, I think the kitchen would look better with a neutral.

You're kitchen is gorgeous, even if the granite is not to your taste.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I would not be turned of by either slab you've shown -- they are my kind of thing, BUT, I wouldn't put that much into a short term deal. Five years can go very quickly, especially if you are not in a camp out situation. And construction will always go slower than you thought. It makes me wonder why you would not want to save it for the kitchen you would be moving to. Now that I've done my kitchen to suit me, it's unlikely I'll find another one that will make me as happy.

• deegw
    12 years ago

I love quartzite but I agree with the above posts that if you aren't going to change out the other tile in the kitchen (floors and cook top area) that the coolness of the blue might not work with the warm tile.

If I were you, I'd take a baby step and get a really fabulous new top for the island. I think it would help tone down the rest of the granite. I am also not fond of granite with lots of aggregate and can understand why you are ready for a change.

A Calcutta gold top or an exotic wood top on your island would look nice with the rest of your kitchen.

I am going to post a link to a site where they do custom wood tops. I think some garden web folks may have used the company but I am not sure. At any rate, they have a really nice photo gallery

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom butcher block island tops

• meowzer
    12 years ago

When I first saw your kitchen photo, I thought "Oh dear, Madeline has accidentally posted a pic of a design/inspiration kitchen she saved on her computer." Then, when I realized you really were going to change that beautiful kitchen, I was thinking like a buyer and about to post my opinion accordingly.

What stopped me was when I read that you recently had a life-changing experience and needed to "do something a little indulgent." If that's true, do you really care what a future buyer might like? If you can afford it and your DH doesn't mind, maybe you should go ahead and be indulgent with whatever choices YOU love.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

You stated that you hated the granite ever since you first stepped into the house and yet you still bought the house. So if you change the counters to something you love chances are the next person to buy your house might feel the same way you did, that is, they may hate the quartzite but still buy the house anyway. You can also rationalize your decision to get new counters and that new stove by stating you are trying to help the economy!

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

I'm back.

I get it. You really don't like the granite and you've already lived with it for 4 years. (personally, while recognizing that granite is neutral and matches, it wouldn't be my favorite either)

if money is no object then replace it. but I do agree with the others - the blue tones (while beautiful) don't match the rest of your kitchen as well. As I was reading your post, it didn't seem like you wanted to change everything.

So, if you are JUST changing countertops, keep looking for another top. The blue one is LOVELY - but too cool for the rest of the kitchen.

I thought the calcutta crema was gorgeous... and it might work by the sink area with wood on the island. (are the tiles around the stove really as pinkish as they appear in the picture? that's what is throwing me)

If it were my kitchen and I just wanted to be happy and not worry about money, I'd try to find a counter that would tone down the pinkish cast around the stove area.

Good luck!

(oh and about the stove... if you HAVE to have it, get it. Just do so KNOWING that you'd be leaving it behind when you move.)

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Madeline,

I am in the Pacific Northwest. Before our reno, we went to open houses in several price points. Mostly we went to new homes, since we figured the larger builders had color-palette people who know the trends. Granites like yours were in several homes, and generally the larger ones. The smaller houses had Ubatuba black with plain maple cabs. But as I said before, your kitchen has a real richness to it architecturally; your granite does not get to own the show.

We did go with a deep blue type granite, but I hope to be here 10-20 years. So I do empathize with your feelings but I also love Dianalo's strategies for some other "upgrades" in your life.

BTW, I have a black standard too! Yours is really cute:)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I am glad if I could have been even a small help. After going through our fairly large scale reno, I would hesitate to ever go through something like that again unless it was really needed. It was a painful process and we got disappointed in many ways and still are. We love the new layout and new kitchen and what was done to our master bath and bedroom. We love having the laundry on the main level now. What makes it worthwhile (eventually) is our kitchen and master bathroom were beyond ugly and our kitchen was small too. We added on a main level den and a screened in porch. We can now be outside and not get eaten alive by mosquitoes in the eves.. The changes made had a real impact on how we use our house. We can maneuver around in master bedroom now without banging into the furniture and our closet space is doubled. I can now hang the shirts I wear to work and not need to spot iron them from being folded. I can find my shoes on the closet floor in a minute or less. No more having to dig to try to find a shoe's mate. The skylights added mean more ventilation and using the lights less often. We finally have a/c in our living spaces, but need it less than before because of the new larger windows and having more of them to open.

The changes you are contemplating are more cosmetic in nature and less urgent functionally. Knowing what I know now, I'd be much happier to cook in a kitchen with granite I don't love than to start even a smaller version of what we went through. We need to re-do our family bath in the near future, but that was poorly installed in the past and has functional issues that are only getting worse. We need to recover financially and emotionally before even touching it. If I were in your shoes, I'd be putting aside money for your next house and gathering ideas for what kinds of looks you would like next. You don't know what the next house will have or need, but you can start a folder with inspiration pix and ideas. If you are very lucky, you find a house that needs little work, and the money saved will go to other things, but if not, then you won't have to worry about making needed changes. As much as I have been focusing on our interior, I know the landscaping and fence need re-doing and that will cost enough.... You may want to have a slush fund for those kinds of things in the next house....
    In any case, I'd think long and hard before doing any optional work. Your kitchen would dazzle 99% of people. Too bad it is not your real cup of tea.... sigh... I do understand your situation, but think you may regret it if you jump in too hard....

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I cannot say whether or not you should or should not do any remodeling of your kitchen. However, I personally would not be turned off by the pale blue stone. In general, I'm not a huge fan of blue countertops, but that is a gorgeous stone. I personally am way more turned off by beige/brown stones. In my area, beige/brown is very popular and frequently used. I love the uniqueness and beauty of the stone you found. I also love that marble slab. Do you love the blue stone enough that you'd be ok lowering the price of the home when you're ready to move if necessary?

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

i'm not a fan of blue so the stone would not be my favorite but perhaps an even bigger deterrent would be your taking the stove with you. whatever you do, i'd be sure to have a replacement installed and ready to go before you show the house. i'm pretty sure the make your looking at is not a standard size so you'd probably have to re do that section of cabinetry.

five years goes by pretty quickly. really, why bother?

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Haven't read all the responses but I agree with the general gist - not sure the blue quartzite would really "go" with the travertine (or whatever) wall . . . and I also agree about the range. As a non-standard size, that may be a deal breaker if you want to take it when you leave, and it won't add appreciably to the value of the house (and might actually detract, although I think it is lovely).

I think you can find something "calmer" than that granite that compliments the stone floors and range surround for sure. I can see why you might want to change that . . . it seems an odd choice for that kitchen to me. . .

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I think the quartzite is lovely and unusual, so if you have deep pockets,go for it. Personally, the only change I would make would be to get rid of the 4" granite backsplash in the sink area and anyplace else not shown here and replace it with the same tile, maybe in a different configuration, as the tile in the stove area. I think this would tie things together and play down the granite a bit.

• mrshanson1
    12 years ago

I love this quartzite!!!!! Really, this takes your breath away! We spend hours, everyday, in our kitchens. If this piece of heaven speaks to you, then go for it!

I think ALL of us here reading this on GW are kitchen obsessed....so IMHO, this is a good virtue/vice to have. There is a lot worse things out there....

Go for it!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I think you've gotten some excellent, wise advice about resale.

So, I'm going to point out something else. Who know how long we have to choose and enjoy our dream kitchen. When do we finally get the 'forever' house...or do we? In the days of upside down mortgages, falling home prices and a shaky economy...I would think about creating a kitchen that YOU love! :)

Also, many people will rip out a kitchen when they buy a home, to make it their own...so all your 'sacrifice' of putting off the kitchen you really want...would be for nothing. Just something to think about.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all, once again!!

The comments about the blue streaked quartzite clashing with the warm travertine are duly noted, for sure. Lawjedi, the trav tiles are definitely not pink, probably a computer screen thing. They're light tan/beige/ivory/taupe if you count all the veining, etc. So, the reason I felt the blue quartzite (Mrs. Hanson, it my heart go pitter patter, too!) would work was because it is streaks of blue on an ivory/warmish background. I thought the ivory would coordinate with the beige/tan/ivory travertine around my stove. But I posted the pic, because I knew this may not be the case, and it sounds like it may, in fact, clash.

I'm going to continue my search for 3cm Calacatta Gold, which will give me a neutral, white marble with grey veining to make me happy, and some "golds" to tie i with my travertine. If anyone knows a wonderful marble stone yard in NOLA or Houston, please do tell!

Well, you all have talked me down from the 43" CornuFe ledge. It would be insane, I would never be able to replace it, so if I put it in this house, it stays.

I also appreciate dianalo's warnings about what a nightmare renos can be. In the past 4 years we've had a fire that burned down our entire outdoor kitchen and patio, and also burned a little bit of our interior (unfortunately didn't burn my eyesore granite!! Ha!!) and a major flood that required ripping out and rebuilding half of the front of the home. After living through that, new countertops installation should be a cake walk...but I also remember the nightmare of drywall dust and extended projects, so I'm factoring that into my decisions now.

Thanks again!!