SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crashball

Kitchen Island help - is clearance too small?

crashball
11 years ago

Our original design my wife and I had planned for our island for our reno has been questioned by a designer that we are buying our cabinets from. Uur kitchen is sort of Galley style in that we can only use opposite walls for cabs and appliances. the usuable length is about 150 inches. with std cabs on both sides that brings it down to 102 inches. We had planned to build an island out of base cabs

and 12 inch uppers, for a 36" island. not including counter top over hang, this leaves about 33" of clearance on both sides.

So the main issue is our designer says we can't do this because it isn't enough room for clearance. They said we could do a 24" island, but we can't put the range there like we wanted because it should have 9" behind it. So either we give up the range in the island and go with 24", which drastically limits our options, or we do a 36" island and have 32" of clearance.

From what we have now, its only 3" less clearance. I plan on mocking it up so we can be positive. But what are peoples opinions on 32" of clearance?

Comments (31)