SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustang51

Black mold in dishwasher -- safe?

mustang51
10 years ago

So I just started renting an apartment off-campus for college.

The previous tenant of my apartment left the dishwasher in incredibly bad shape. When I arrived and opened the dishwasher, there were thousands of little mini-worms crawling around. After running a few cycles, the worms were gone, but black mold residue remains on the dishwasher racks.

We tried running various different cleaners and concentrates through the dishwasher, but most of the mold residue still remains. My landlord (it's an office) claims that this residue is "harmless because it has already ran through the dishwasher cycle", but just by touching it, it easily comes off on my fingers and will certainly come onto my plates and food. They recommended just scrubbing it off with a paper towel.

After a week of going back and forth with them, I recently just gave them one of the racks as they said they will clean it themselves (they will almost certainly just rub it with a paper towel). The top rack doesn't come off and there's still black mold residue on it, but the office says "nahh it's just a little bit, you will be fine".

1) Is this safe?
2) What are my options for effectively cleaning it?
3) Is the office responsible for fixing this, and should I ask them for a written letter saying that this dishwasher is now safe to use?

I'm just worried that this is really unsanitary.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz