SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmiriam

First glitch - need help with kitchen floor options please!

rmiriam
10 years ago

We started ripping out our kitchen yesterday - very exciting! However, part of the demo was ripping up the floor, which we were told was likely the same wood as in the rest of the house under the sheet vinyl. So I had planned to have my open floor plan have a continuous oak floor. However, turns out that the floor is actually pine, which I would also refinish if it wasn't covered in asbestos-laden tar. Having decided that spending a couple of weeks scraping up tar is not going to work out, So, I can have someone rip out the existing (very solid) pine subfloor and put in new oak. This will be expensive, and never a perfect match, but is the original plan

Alternatively, since I'm a little nervous about wood in a kitchen anyway, I could also do sheet Marmoleum. Problem with this plan is that my open space doesn't have a great cut-off point for the marmoleum to stop and the existing wood to start. I'd love opinions on whether either of these would work, assuming the carpet is marmoleum (other options also welcome!).

Option A is the most natural, but also leaves the refrigerator and broom closet sitting on wood, while the rest of the kitchen has Marmo:
{{!gwi}}

Option B encompases the whole kitchen. Unfortunately, the Marmo then intrudes on the dining area, creating a kind of psychological barrier and making diners feel more like they're "in" the kitchen:
{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance to everyone for weighing in. This has really thrown me for a loop!

Comments (15)