SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

Getting the most out of available space...counter depth

cotehele
15 years ago

I would appreciate opinions on counter depth. Many of you love 30" deep counters. How about 36" deep? My kitchen is a little over 13ft. wide. I have decided not to have an island or table in the center because even with 30'' deep counters the island would be small with little aisle width. The main way from the outside and glass-porch is through the kitchen. An island would complicate the flow of the foot traffic. Deep counters would maximize the cabinets along the walls and have lots of storage in the base drawers.

The only upper cabs are on the cooking wall, and I expect to use those 21'' deep cabs for things I very rarely use. Along the back of the 8'6'' long cooking countertop, there would be 9" deep shelves (maybe covered by sliding glass or stone doors).

The 36'' deep prep counter is 5'8'' long and 32'' high. Large windows will end at the counters. I expect to have plants along the back of the counter. And a kitchen garden (herbs, tomatoes and peppers)just beyond the window.

{{!gwi}}

OK, to all of you that are asking, ''What has she done now?'' We changed the entry porch to a 3-season porch with lots of windows. (It is not on the plan because the file was corrupted and I had to redraw everything...I am still at it!@#) Why leave the kitchen in the darkest part of the space? Flipping the kitchen and DR means lots windows on the north and west kitchen walls, the kitchen is close to the garden, laundry, porch and garage. And the change SAVED LOTS of MONEY by NOT rebuilding an existing garage wall, or bumping the kitchen into the bedroom or building a new bedroom closet. The laundry is simpler and less expensive and the garage is a tad smaller. I am thrilled! The DR is small, but 99% of the time it is only used for 2-3 people. Maybe once a year there are 8-10 people. The bid docs are being drawn up, but the cabinets are not in the GC bid so I have a little time to make final decisions on size. So, thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (20)