SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inflictionmitch

What are the most reliable counter-depth fridges these days?

inflictionmitch
9 years ago

Looks like I've got no choice but to upgrade from my 15-year+ old Amana.

I'm looking to buy a 36-inch wide French door counter-depth fridge that's no higher than 70 inches as it will be placed into a slide-in cabinet.

Has anyone got feedback on the more current machines that fit these specs that have proven to be reasonably reliable and, very important, run quietly without lots of banging or high pitched sounds?

Would greatly prefer to get one that doesn't have in-door ice or water, but in a worst case, I'm open to buying one and simply never connecting the water line. :)

Every single brand I'm researching seems to be getting horrible reviews of the scariest kind in recent years, regardless of price or make, and it's very disturbing to me.

Whirlpools have caused more than a few fires, LGs often seem to die multiple times within the first year of ownership, Kitchen Aides have regularly flooded and damaged kitchen floors (do the new 2014 fridges still use duckbill drain valves?), Bosch is now a disaster etc. It's very, very worrying.

I was thinking about going for Jenn Air, who used to be rock solid reliable for quality, and then I found this - http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/jenn-air_refrigerator.html

It's just crazy.

I realize that more people go online to complain about an item they bought then to praise it, but these stories are huge in number and they seem very consistent. Or is that a misread? Appliances like a fridge used to easily last a decade with no issues, often twice that time, but these days it seems rare for them to go even three years without at least one service call or, worse, emergency.

Would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations as I'll need to buy the new fridge in the next week or so, unfortunately. Sorry if I seem over-worrying, I'm really freaked out by the kinds of stories I'm seeing online nowadays for just about every brand and I really don't want to spend a fortune for years of future troubles if there's any way I can avoid it.

Comments (18)