SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rrdb66

New to GW/cabinet + crown paint to match trim + casing?

rrdb66
11 years ago

Since beginning our kitchen renovation in June of this year I've been a long time stalker yet this is my first post. I've learned a lot from everyone's suggestions and ideas. In the final laps of our renovation, I've run into my first conundrum about paint color on the trim/casing vs. cabinet/crown moulding.

A bit of background: we moved into our 1940 bungalow-style home 15yrs ago and this is our second round of major renovations. At some point the porch (that extends the length of the kitchen) was enclosed into a sunroom, but there was only a small doorway that led through the kitchen out to the deck. All that great light gone to waste! We removed the CMU along the entire southwest wall of the kitchen, added an LVL beam and opened up the space between the two rooms. It has created a bit of a trim issue since the ceiling height is only 8'.

Our custom cabinets are BM Acadia White (sprayed lacquer) and the crown (2.5" each ceiling + wall projection) will be the same. This more subdued white is a better complement with our original oak floors. (Photos). The kitchen + sunroom walls will be painted BM Revere Pewter and the ceiling is finished in SW Eminence High Performance (no tint). The sloped ceiling in the sunroom is bead board and will be painted BM Yarmouth Blue, with a hint of trim. The 4" flat trim style matches other rooms in the house however on the bar/doorway openings the crown and wall trim will be in close proximity with one another. Also, the baseboard trim will meet the lower cabinets in a couple of areas. We've used a brighter semi-gloss white in other rooms on all trim + baseboards.

Acting as the GC, I've asked my contractor, architect and cabinet maker, and there is no clear consensus on what to do about the trim/baseboard + crown paint color. "It's personal preference", they all say. Should they be the same color?

Comments (5)