SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
surveymom

Cabinet interior size and minimum door size

surveymom
15 years ago

I am getting down to the nitty gritty of planning sizes of custom cabinets and every 1/2 inch counts at this point. Could someone tell me if my assumptions are correct and answer some questions.

on a 12 inch upper cabinet, would the interior space be 11 inches if the cabinet had 1/2 inch walls - 11 1/2 inches interior if it was 3/4 inch construction?

On a frameless cabinet, what would be the opening at the door front? Do you have to take the cabinet door width into account so that the opening into the cabinet would be 3/4 inch less? (I'm not exactly sure how those hinges would work

On a framed cabinet with overlay doors, is there a standard frame size? What would be the opening at the door on a 12 wide cabinet. I assume that you wouldn't need to take the door into account here because the hinges are on the outside of the cabinet

Is a framed cabinet with inset doors any different than with overlay doors?

How about with drawers. How much usable space do you actually have in a 12 inch drawer if your cabinets are 1) frameless, 2) framed with overlay doors or 3) framed with inset doors

Also a question about corner upper cabinets. What is the minimum size opening that you want for the door? I'm bringing back my rusty high school geometry trying to figure out how much walls space a corner cabinet would take if I had 12, 13, or 14 inch uppers. I'm just not sure how long the side of the cabinet needs to be that has the door in it.

Thanks to anybody that can answer these questions

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH