SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigjim24

Water, water every darn where. Please advise.

bigjim24
12 years ago

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Things have been beyond crazy since Irene. I've come the dread the expression, "and the punches keep on coming." Kitchen reno is almost done. Long story short, dishwasher was installed 9.10. Last Monday at 2:30 am, (10 days after install) I woke to the sound of rushing water. Went downstairs to my new kitchen only to find "a river runs through it."

I turned off the water main in the basement. Opened the outside faucets to relive pressure. Took off the toekick to find this...

At this point I am alternating between swearing like a trucker, crying, and singing "Just keep swimming" from Finding Nemo. Middle of the night shite shows will do that to a girl.

I got all of the water out of the kitchen (the basement is another story). The appliance was repaired later on Tuesday night. He replaced the hose and spent quite a bit of time sponging water out of the bottom of the dishwasher. My contractor came by to check the cabs, etc. They appear to be OK. The cork floor guy will come by this weekend.

I called the appliance store, and let them know the details. He said assess the damage and give him a call back. At this point there does not appear to be any visible damage, but I'm worried about long term. The dishwasher had water spraying up into it. It works fine now but do I need to be concerned with the electronics getting wet? Jeesh I bought a new dishwasher, not a salvage on Ebay. What if I discover warping on the cabs in a few months? Can I ask them to do mold abatement in the basement?

I need to get my ducks in a row before I call him back. But I'm not sure what to look for or ask for here. I was the designer and GC, so there is not a higher power to go to. Except for you great people. I don't want something for nothing, I just want my new kitchen to be done and done as right as it was before this happened. Any help, advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry, this turned out longer than I intended. Feeling whooped here :(

Comments (12)