SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pelhamlady

cupping or bowing to new wood floor in kitchen

pelhamlady
12 years ago

I just completed my kitchen reno. We started in December 2010 and finished in September 2011. Our new wood floor was installed in Febuary 2011. It is an oak floor with planks that are 4 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick. The back of the floor says Somerset, I think. We stained the floor and applied two coats of poly. The floor was covered with rosin paper for a few months because of the delays in construction. When we uncovered the floor last week, we noticed that there is slight cupping to the boards. This was very alarming so we called the floor installer. He said that in 9 of 10 cases, the issue resolves itself when the humidity in the house is balanced. He didn't test the floor with a hydrometer but he mentioned 60%, whatever that means. He recommended leaving the floor uncovered until he comes next week to put on the final coat of poly. He also recommended replacing the insulation under the floor and running a dehumidifier in the basement below. I live in lower New York. We've had tons of rain this year but I don't have any water in my basement which is a full walk-in basement with a garage. My entire house has oak floors and none of the other floors have ever had this problem. My home is 80 years old and the floor installer said that all of the other floors are acclimated. Therefore, the old floors would never experience the cupping that's happening in the new floor. I would really appreciate any thoughts on this problem. It's very disconcerting. I spent well over $7,000 on my floor installation and my kitchen is only 12x18 ft. Thanks.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths