SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenes_gw

Cabinet inset hinges are the wrong size

jenes
13 years ago

I want to replace the hinges on my kitchen cabinets. The current hinges are inset hinges.

I bought a pair of 3/8" inset hinges and they aren't quite right. Two of the three holes on the plate (the two that line up vertically) line up with the old holes, but the third doesn't at all. It would be no problem drilling a new third hole, but the real problem is that when I hung the door it was slightly off, so that if I hung both doors, they would hit in the middle instead of coming together with just a tiny gap. The hinges would work on all the doors where the doors don't come all the way together but instead rest over the frame, but on two sets of doors, they need to meet exactly in the middle.

I hope my description of the problem makes sense. My guess is that I really need 1/4" inset hinges, since the 3/8" seem to be too big, but I haven't been able to find ones in that size that look the same as mine. If I could attach the hinge to the frame just slightly farther from the door, I think it would work, but the holes would be practically on top of the current holes, and I worry that I'll end up with one giant hole.

Does anyone know what I should do? The cabinets are from the 70s, and I think they would have used whatever the standard hinge of the time was.

Comments (2)