SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denise_vancouver

Layout advice for a new member?

denise_vancouver
13 years ago

Hello, this forum has been my latest addiction - I've been lurking while we debated renovating, building new, or moving. We love our neighbourhood so renovate it is (1970's split level - challenging enough!).

I'm looking for layout advice for this kitchen/dining room - there is no other eating area in the house. The entire room is actually a blank canvas, only the dimensions are set in stone. Doors and windows are pretty unchangeable, but I might consider if it can be justified. Water, gas, electrical can all be put where we'd like. The room below the kitchen is the living room (down one step), beside the kitchen/dining rm is the family room (down 4 steps). I imagine white cabinets, dark quartz countertops, in general a bright cheery place where we can hang out as a family and entertain our friends.

Wants:

-36" 6 burner gas cooktop

-30" double wall ovens

-french door fridge full depth (but can recess a few inches into the wall currently showing the fridge)

-love the idea of an appliance zone - was thinking of the space between the fridge and wall ovens, possibly using a pull-up door (not the rolling garage door, but a door that lifts up and slides in? Not sure what they're called)

-microwave in cabinet above counter (not in island, not above oven)

-debating prep sink in island

-in general I like the positions of the appliances, but worry if things are too far apart

-thinking of a hutch-style cabinet at end of kitchen sink run - would be good spot to store everyday dishes, cutlery, etc

-island is a must, ideally seating for 4

I've been so impressed with all of the suggestions I've read on other threads, I'm hoping your advice will help make this the best kitchen it can be. And a note about me, I'm can be a bit chatty, so I apologize for the looong first post :)

Denise

{{!gwi}}

Comments (14)