SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackcats13

starting some kitchen changes, hooray! layout and pics

blackcats13
14 years ago

So ... YIPPEE!!! OK, now that that's out (again) =D Quick summary, the cabs in the house we bought are ancient and gunk is soaked into the wood. A local salvage company posted a kitchen they were pulling out right when we decided they HAD to go. Great price, just need to make it work. Here's my initial floor plan, would love to hear any comments. Unfortunately I can't really move the stove, sink, or doors.

Current gross kitchen from the day of our inspection last year. This is pretty nearly all the counter space we have. The shine on that wood is not polish, it's gunk:

New cabs (before ripped out):

Floorplan (explanation below). This is my first time using design planning software:

The room is roughly 17' 9" from stove to windows and 14 feet at widest. Behind the stove/oven wall is the bathroom. I only have the lower cabs in the plan. Starting at door on left side of drawing. We have a cart we might put next to stove/oven, but no cabinet that will fit there. The stove is 30", then an 18" drawer cab, the corner cab, a 12" cab, the sink in a 39" cab, 30" dishwasher, leaving about 18 inches. We have nothing to fill that 18 inches, so am thinking about getting a tall pantry/broom closet for the space.

The little wall that juts out is, I think, a support wall, that's where the addition starts. I thought the 33" cab would be a nice place to have our coffee/espresso stuff. Right now it's in the corner by the oven (along with a lot of other stuff). The 'island' is two 36" lower cabs back to back (not 100% sure this will fit yet). Would like an overhang and counter seats if possible here. I also am thinking of putting a storage bench under the big window bank. The door near there is the one most used to go outside. No room for a mud room and shoes and bags always pile up there.

The open space next to that door now has a cabinet that we keep our recycling in and toaster oven on. It's 30-something inches. The wall next to it jutting out is actually a couple of shallow pantries. DH wants to keep them, but if I had an alternate solution to food storage he'd be fine with that. Now, the strangest part. The next area where the frige is, is currently the closet for the tiny bedroom next to the kitchen. We are keeping it as a separate room, but not keeping it as a bedroom, so don't need the closet. I thought the fridge (30") would be better there. We don't like how it currently crowds the sink, need more counter space, and don't know where else to put it. The light switch needs to be there, so I've left the wall closer to the door in the drawing, plus then we won't see the side of the fridge from the dining room. The wall right next to the fridge ... could probably come down?

For upper cabs there are three 24" that I thought could go one to each side of sink and 1 to the left of the stove. In the corner I could put shelves. There are over oven and fridge cabs. There is also another upper cab that could maybe go to the right of the oven, but I can't remember the size right now.

It's past my bedtime, so I hope I was clear and not TOOOO wordy ;) Thanks for any and all opinions and suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: all my kitchen pics

Comments (7)