SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

Rut-roh - I found a big mistake

annkh_nd
10 years ago

My new cabinets were installed last week. There were a few minor issues that were all resolved easily. Almost everything is exactly like it was supposed to be - except for the drawer heights.

I have two 3-drawer stacks, one on each side of the range. I spent months figuring out what's going to go in each drawer, and I measured my stuff. I asked for the bottom drawer on each stack to be deeper than the middle one, and specified the height of my tallest item (it happened to be my sugar and flour containers). The deeper drawer on the other side will be vertical storage for cake pans.

The bottom two drawers are the same height, and my containers don't fit.

No problem - they were actually old pickle jars, and I figured I could get new square Oxo containers that would fit better anyway. So tonight after work I bought some.

They are too tall by about 1/4". I suppose I could search around and find slightly shorter containers.

Then I dug out a cake pan, set it vertically in the lower drawer on the other side - and it didn't fit either. I plan to use dividers, and I guess I could angle things slightly... but I don't want to.

So at 10 tonight I left a message with the cabinet maker (Dan the Cabinet Man - some of you may have read my adoring posts about him). I checked my drawings - the ones I got from him - and sure enough, the dimensions are right there. I'm confident that Dan will make it right for me - but it won't happen tomorrow. Both cabinets need to be rebuilt, the finished.

And my flooring is supposed to go in tomorrow. The floor guy put down the underlayment this morning. I need to talk to Dan early, before the floor guys show up. I know Dan is usually in the office before 7, but I don't know if he answers the phone that early.

Sigh. I have read about lots of mistakes here, and like so many before me, I just want it to be DONE! But even more, I want it to be right.

I do trust that Dan will fix it - after all, it was their mistake. But I am not looking forward to that conversation in the morning.

Comments (11)