SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Kitchens in Action Part 2 **Pic heavy food p0rn**

loves2cook4six
15 years ago

Last week I made trailrunners Peach Ginger Chutney. Started off by making my own candied ginger and boy is that left over syrup good on ice cream:

Candied Ginger

Peel the ginger and slice it into rounds about 1/8 inch thick.

For every cup of ginger slices, bring 3 cups water and 3 cups sugar to a boil in a large sauce pan. When the sugar is completely dissolved, add the ginger and boil for 45 minutes, until the ginger is sweet and tender.

Drain the ginger, reserving the liquid.

Place the ginger on a rack to dry for 30 minutes, then toss it with enough granulated sugar to coat. Let it dry on wax paper and then store in an airtight container.

Boil the reserved liquid until it is reduced to a syrup with a consistency somewhere between maple syrup and honey. This will intensify its flavor. This syrup can be used for pancakes, waffles, or ice cream, and is an extra bonus for making your own candied ginger.

The ginger is delicious eaten as candy, and can also be used in recipes calling for candied ginger so therefore I made the:

Candied Ginger Peach Chutney

4# peaches (scald and peel)

1 1/2# light br sugar

1/2c chopped onion

1c finely chopped candied ginger

2 t white mustard seeds

1 t. salt

2 t chili powder (I reduced this to 1t)

3 c cider vinegar

cook till thick and process for 10 min boiling water bath...4 pints (this is trailrunners recipe. I cooked mine down so much I got a scant 3 pints)

I also added 1 t whole cloves, 3 cinnamon sticks (all of which I fished out at the end), 1/2 cup of the left over syrup and 1/2 t of ground all spice)

The Meck jars look so pretty and shiny in the dishwasher

Getting ready to process. Rubber rings in the small pot, left over syrup in the big pot in the back, boiling water in the middle pot, hot jars and lids in the pot to the right

DH made me this awesome cutting board

Comments (18)