SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19697693

New counters on old cabinets

User
11 years ago

What's your opinion? Good, bad, or ugly?

I almost put new quartz on 12 year old, builder-grade oak cabinets. They were in good shape, but the layout had major problems and the countertop was square white tile with stained grout. You know this kitchen. I didn't think a major kitchen remodel was in our foreseeable future, but I wanted rid of the tile.

I thought we could get quartz for around $2000. Not! It was closer to $4000. It made no sense to me to put $4000 on old cabinets that probably had only 5 years of life left. I also felt new counters would make the cabinets look even older. I would have preferred to tough it out another 5 years with the tile rather than put very expensive lipstick on a pig. In the end, we remodeled the kitchen since we plan to be here at least another 5 years.

Our granite person told us that about 50% of their sales are from people putting new counters on old cabs. Some do it for resale. A few of my neighbors with the same kitchen as mine are now "upgrading" with granite. How long can they realistically expect builder grade particle board cabinets to last?

People on GW ask for help choosing new granite or quartz for their old cabs all the time. Sometimes people gently suggest they look at laminate instead. But I have found that when someone has made up their mind they want granite or quartz, it's very hard to get them to "see the light".

Comments (16)