SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcremodeler_gw

Need an education on cabinets...

KCRemodeler
12 years ago

My kitchen cabinet refinish/reconfigure aspirations have gotten so out of hand I'm now in the realm of believing I'm better off to bite the bullet and get new cabs...thus I've engaged a kitchen designer. My budget is tight but I want to "down grade" cabinet quality by any means. My cabs, while ugly and disorganized, are solid oak and reasonably..well...solid.

Now my KD said that "all cab mfgrs are using high quality MDF for their painted cabinets" anymore as they've apparently figured out that it's best for nice flat durable paint finish and "isn't the MDF like I'm used to". Is this more or less true? And, if so, how do I differentiate "good quality MDF" from the particle board cabs I had in my old house that I'd be a fool to install in my new one??

Looking for a little guidance on specs and things to look for as I embark on my cabinet quest to help steer me clear of failures - warping, misalignments, scratching/chipping finish (i'm doing the white cab thing), stuck drawers, what am I not thinking of?

I can self-guide myself to find the style and special functional features I want, but really hoping you extremely helpful GWs here can set me straight on the basics...what do I need for a very budget friendly, this is our 15 year home, cabinets? Thank you thank you!!!

Comments (2)