SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
straycat2010

Front Loaders or Top Loaders??? PLEASE help!!!

straycat2010
14 years ago

I am having a bit of (actually a BIG) dilemma! Our new house will have a second floor laundry room. My friend and her husband swear to me that it is not wise to buy front loaders for a second floor laundry because they vibrate too much and will damage the floor, and eventually cause structural problems with the house. Others have told me that top loaders are awful on the second floor and to stay away from them.

So I mentioned to my friend's husband that the set of front loaders I am looking at buying have VRT (Vibration Reduction Technology) and that other people have them and have told me they do not make noise or vibrate out of the ordinary. Then he made a good point: he said that it's a gravity thing and that even if they don't make noise or vibrate more than normal, gravity pulls the drum down, so because of the position of the drum, it is always bouncing up and down, thus eventually causing structural problems and floor problems.

However, with the top loaders, again because of the position of the drum, there is no bouncing up and down. Gravity keeps the drum well grounded and then it spins round and round.

I am no engineer but this all seemed to make sense. He also said that he verified this with an engineer before purchasing the top loaders.

What say you?

The darn front loaders look soooooo sleek compared to the top loaders...LOL

I know, not a good or valid point!

The only toploaders I like are Whirlpool's Cabrio pair and I swore I'd never buy Whirlpool!

Please tell me if any of you have been told the same...or just tell me what you know/about your experiences.

Thanks so much for reading. Much appreciated!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths