SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Update about fainting couch

oceanna
16 years ago

I hope I'm not boring anyone! To me this is like a soap opera. "As the Living Room Turns," "All My Antiques," "General Reupholstery." hehe

I just got off the phone with the upholstery guy. He's going to call me tomorrow; he needs a helper to carry it out of here. He'll give me a better quote when he sees it, but it looks like it's going to cost around $600 to get him to structurally fix it and do it right. I think he's offering me a very good price. I told him I can re-cover it myself, including doing the diamond tufting to save $ if need be. I just need to know it's not going to go "CRACK!" when someone sits on it, and I want it comfy for the first time since I've had it. I told him I want the back braced and he didn't like my ideas on how to do it and says he needs to look it over.

I laid my f.c. fabric (my original choice) against my sofa in good light and it looks stunning, and I'm sorry my photos couldn't show that. So I'm going with that, and I already bought the gimp braid off eBay.

The moral of the story: If you're buying an antique piece of furniture, make darn sure it's structurally sound, or that you have the ability, space & tools to fix it yourself, or you'll end up paying someone. Reupholstery is generally not all that hard for a good DIY person, but it's work. If I had it to do over I would still buy this remarkably pretty piece; I absolutely love it, as does everyone who sees it.

So now we wait to see what $ he says when he examines it. I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm very excited at the thought of it getting done properly. A big thanks to those of you hanging in here with me on this. Your moral support has meant more than you can know.

Now I need to get my camera fixed!

Comments (16)