SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

New Ideas (from 50 years ago?)

palimpsest
14 years ago

There are some interesting built in appliances for the serious cook (steam ovens, in-the-counter steamers with plumbing) the outside the box thinker [the Sink Dishwasher, the all-drawer fridge user, the trash-compactor (regional?)] and the afficionado (built-in coffee makers, multi-temp winecoolers, brick ovens).

I wonder which ones are here for the long haul, and which ones will end up taking up space. (I know trash compactors have been around forever, but in some areas they have never taken off)

The GE wall hung refrigerator: (1956-60ish)I knew two people that had these, they were too close to the ceiling to work well? One family had a separate freezer since the wall unit didnt freeze well. The other family used it like cabinets.

The Nutone Food Center:(1960ish-1982ish) a great idea until the post that ran the appliances rounded off. Then they became crumb collectors. They were often also mounted on a side sink apron which put them in conflict with cabinetry. These are still popular in trailers (one motor for many appliances). Replacement parts are available again, and a whole replacement unit is now available from another manufacturer:

{{!gwi}}

The Westinghouse Appliance center: an early powerstrip with on-off switches, but it doesn't look polarized or grounded:

The wall-recessed toaster:

The Decorator Refrigerator (International Harvester!)

With foot-pedal, and a door that only takes 1-3/4 yards of fabric: Maybe an idea whose time has come again.

And you thought Fisher-Paykel was first: the drawer dishwasher:

Comments (16)