SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shawnamichelle_gw

retro kitchen - not in a good way! (pics)

shawnamichelle
14 years ago

Hi all,

My husband and I will be closing on this house next month (the decor in the pics is the sellers'). The home is in fantastic condition with many new amenities. However, as you can see, the overall look of the home screams 1950s and 1970s. The kitchen look to be original (1957) and are in really good shape. I should say we are on a tight budget with another baby on the way so we want to do minimal things to the home to help freshen it up. We plan to at least paint all trim and doors with BM Dove White, and paint all interior rooms with our favorite BM hues. The majority of the home has wood floors that we may or may not be able to have refinished. Ideally, we'd lay more in the kitchen to help things flow. The kitchen has a heinous vinyl now. I think realistically we may have to scratch the hardwood for now and choose a warmer vinyl (faux tile?)

So here's what we are keeping in the kitchen for now:

the countertops (they are relatively new)

the cabinets (should we paint them BW Dove White also?)

And we're replacing/taking down the:

-paint on walls with BM Rosemary Sprig (in eating area as well)

-cornice thingy above the kitchen sink (obviously the window treatments as well!)

-hanging cabinets which block view from said eating area. (do you think this is wise?)

-appliances, or fridge at least for now

-floor with probably vinyl (any recommendations?)

-hardware (any opinions on a type that would look good on white? The countertops have flakes of light brown in them...)

Again, we do not have the money now to do major renovations. I'd like to know if you think I'm on the right track here or if you have other advice.

Thanks so much in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: retro kitchen needs help!

Comments (34)