SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emh107_gw

movement in painted maple cabinets

EMH107
11 years ago

I have custom maple cabinets built by a very respected cabinetmaker in CT. They were the most expensive of all the quotes I got, but they were inset custom cabinets and the cabinetmaker had all of the subs organized to do the work. They are beautiful looking, but after a few months, and a winter with my forced hot air heat, the middle of doors separated from the frame of the cabinet door (see pic). The center of the cabinets were made of MDF to prevent this problem, but it did not work. Now that it has been 9 months, I was hoping that the cabinetmaker could spray the doors again. He has not agreed to do this yet. He painted over the cracks in the outer frames. I know it's real wood, but I have learned that a factory finish may have been better. I would also advise to others to just get thermo foil if you want white cabinets. They are half the price (at least) and you can change them again if they wear out.

I am heartbroken that I made the wrong decision after I spent so much time researching.

Does anyone have any idea of what I should have the cabinetmaker to do?

Thanks.

Comments (20)