SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
_sandra_

toe kick: wood or painted?

sam_b
15 years ago

After some consideration of our 'life-until-now' cleaning practices, we have opted not to leave furniture-look openings under our cabinets. Now we need to decide whether to paint the toe kick area black or leave it natural cherry like the cabinets. The floor is wood too (quite close to the colour of the cabinets, but much of it will have an Indian rug on it. The granite is black. If possible, I'd love to see some pix of that space if you also have wood cabs meeting a wood floor, just so I can compare the two different looks.

The main problem is that our house is quite old (1854) and the floors slope. That means the toe kick along one side of the "U" will be about an inch & a half higher than the one across the kitchen in order to keep the cupboard doors & counters level. Will a recessed 'wood' toe-kick give a more level illusion by blending in with the cupboard doors? Or, would a recessed 'black' toe kick showcase the cupboards themselves (which will be more or less level all around the u-shape) so you don't notice the height difference?

I look forward to any pictures & opinions! TIA!

Sandra

Comment (1)