SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kshanahan

Need help! Toe kick for painting existing cabinets & new flooring

Kristen S.
3 years ago

I am keeping my cabinets and SubZero frig and wall ovens but replacing counters and flooring in my kitchen. We are going to have the cabinets refinished and painted with new hardware. The existing ceramic tile will be removed and replaced with wood.

My dilemma is the toe kick vs quarter round that covers the small gap for expansion between the new wood floor and base cabinets for expansion. My floor installer wants to use quarter round and I was looking at a paint-grade toe kick skin. I want something clean. The existing floors do not have thick base trim and there are several side panels (5) for end runs of the cabinets that are flat to the floor with no decorative side “furniture” features. (see before sample pic) We are actually installing the wood in 3 rooms so it’s kind of a big project. (to make the flooring consistent)

I am not a designer or a pro, but want the floor to look original, if possible, not an after thought.

I am wondering if I should just pay to have the appliances and base cabinets moved and re-installed to have a clean look at this point. We are getting a new sink and countertops so it’s only more money right? Am I being a crazy homeowner? I am so over-budget! Ugh! I know it will be great - eventually!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths