SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Wierd chandelier problem - flaking film in globes?

goldgirl
12 years ago

This stuff only seems to happen to me.

Today I decided to clean (vs. merely dust the outside) and replace light bulbs in our large foyer chandelier. I'm embarrassed to say that this was the first real cleaning since it was installed about two ago because it's so difficult to get to.

When I pulled out the bulbs we had in it (40 watt, even though it could take 60 watt), I noticed pieces of a waxy like substance at the bottom of each globe, along with the selection of stinkbugs ;) When I vacuumed each globe out, I noticed that sections of what I thought was dust on the inside of the globes disappeared. But for some reason, I didn't think anything of it until I actually took a damp cloth and started wiping the globes off. Only then did I realize that some kind of film was popping off (not peeling per se) in sections from the insides of the globes. I'd thought the insides were just covered with a film of dust.

If the stuff had come off completely in every globe, I could live with it. But now they're all mottled and look terrible. I called the manufacturer (the local lighting store where I bought it closed), who asked me to send a photo so they can try to help. But it appears that this chandelier isn't made anymore, so I doubt they can even send me replacement globes.

I saved the brochure that came with it and it's clear that the globes were tinted inside, with the edges darker than the bottoms of the globes. We love its slightly rustic look. Seems like some kind of manufacturing defect.

I'm just curious if anyone else has every run into this issue before? We waited years to buy a chandelier because we couldn't find one we both agreed on until this one! And it was more than we'd ever paid for one :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier

Comments (2)