SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Anticipation and flurries of activity

14 years ago

So, you see, I started buying appliances before New Year's. But there have be redesigns, and delays, and then there was a schedule, and demolition. There were materials that couldn't be ordered before the initial construction was done, but all those things that were meant to take a month take longer and longer, so two months after we were supposed to be finishing, this week...:

• Touch-ups, and adjusting the walls that are out of true.

• Doors and drawers final hanging and adjustment.

• Delivery of the knobs and pulls.

• Delivery of the countertop tile.

• Delivery and installation of the coolers and ovens.

• Cutting of the island soapstone (installation pushed to next week so the appliance guys don't damage it).

• Measurement for the dining room door (!)

In the last few weeks, there's been a lot of incremental work done. The top molding was installed (a bigger task than it sounds like because it's sriped (bamboo)). Finishing of the trims on site and the doors and drawers at the cabinet shop. Installation of the U/C lighting, an outlet here, a light there, etc., and the beginnings of the touch-ups to the walls and paint.

We just found a solution for the dining room door. I'm not in love with it, but I'm happy to find a solution. It's a real door, but operationally the same as the arras that Rubyfig suggested. I didn't want the "eyebrow" that a barn door slider would put on my dining room wall, or the track in the floor. Accepting a glass door in a metal frame allows us to use a different version, which is more of a room divider style. Rather than having the eyebrow, the panel will go to the ceiling, and the rail will extend from beam to beam as a kind of molding. Most important, it'll be painted to match the wall.

The door itself will be a textured glass, similar to what will be in the glass front cabinets just behind it, that blurs the view at a couple of feet, but is pretty transparent up close. That way the wall color will show right through it, but it has some opacity to close off the view to the kitchen. (And if that doesn't work, it's getting painted!!!!) Best of all, if I'm willing to have it 25% wider I can have a roller bottom with wall brackets rather than a nasty rail to trip on. One of the really big problems is a big limitation on the colors available for the frame. I hate all the options. I'm going to have to talk to my contractor some more about paint for the frame. But at at least it's a door, even though I won't have it for a couple of months.

BTW, many thanks to those of you who helped with the door problem! We thoroughly checked out all the hardware suggestions. It turned out that they didn't actually work for this installation, but I'm grateful for all of the references.

Re the soapstone, I'm glad I got to see it in the sun yesterday, before the cutting. There's a big quartz vein, that's mostly white, but has some yellow bits. I thought I'd be able to get the island without the vein. The kitchen...

Comments (22)