SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Prep zone across aisle from cooking zone

breezygirl
13 years ago

HereÂs my second "how can it be done/how do you do it" zones question of the day. In my current kitchen I prep on one side of the kitchen near the only sink and then walk 5 ½ feet across the kitchen to the range when cooking. I feel like I waste so many steps, time, and energy making this trek multiple times a day. My cousin tried to suggest that this counts as exercise; she received a very dirty look. I also end up dropping tidbits of food to the floor on occasion. In designing the new kitchenÂs layout, I was really trying to get the prep zone on the same counter run as the cooktop to prevent so much back and forth. BUT if you add up the counter space needs for the prep zone (at least 3 feet) and the cooking zone (3 for the cooktop plus 2 on either side, you end up with at least 10 feet of counter run. ThatÂs an awful lot. Then comes the issue of needing a sink near prepping.

I see so many beautiful kitchens where the prep area seems to be across an aisle from the cooking area. I wonder how they do it. Do they really cook or is the kitchen just a showplace? The cook must be content with crossing an aisle from prep zone to cooking zone. Does this aisle crossing bother you? Am I over-thinking this whole issue as I do so many things in my life?

Comments (15)