SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dockside_gw

Ceramic Rope Tile Edge for Laminate Counters

dockside_gw
14 years ago

We are planning a build and trying to keep things as inexpensive as possible for our champagne tastes with a beer pocketbook. I am having an island with a granite countertop, but the perimeter cabinets will have a nice Wilsonart laminate. I have painted a mural on 4" porcelain tile to go over the cooktop. This tile will also be used for the rest of the backsplash. The mural will be framed with a matching rope tile. The tile is 1"x6" and I was thinking of using it to edge the countertop around the perimeter. The perimeter cabinets are in a "U" and the ends of the cabinets of each side of the U will go up against tall cabinets, so no problems with the ends and corners.

Anyway, the rope edging has a concave area in the center and only about 1/4" on the top and the bottom would butt up against the counter edge. I suppose the concave part could be filled with thinset so that the entire tile touches the counter edge made of plywood, but is that advisable? The rep of the tile manufacturer saw no problem in using it as a tile edging and even said it wasn't necessary to fill in the concave part, but I would like an unbiased opinion, so, here I am.

Am I courting disaster using this rope tile for the edging?

Id' try to post a photo but am unable to figure out how to do it. Hope the above description will suffice.

Comments (5)