SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

question for those with main sink in island (entertaining)

illinigirl
10 years ago

This question is for those who have their main sink in their island. It is about entertaining guests. Does having the main sink in your island deter guests from sitting at your island? Do you serve food from your island and do guests eat at your island? How do you find this layout to affect entertaining overall?

I am 95% sure I want my main sink in my island. I believe this setup will be ideal for our family about 97% of the time. There are a couple situations I'm unsure about mainly dealing with entertaining. My typical style of entertaining is 1) rare frequency
2) closest friends only
3) casual- drinks with snacks or football games with bbq style foods or snacks.

I would like to use my island to serve up foods and snacks, and I would hope my guests (as is in my current home with peninsula serving/eating/seating) would continue to gravitate towards my kitchen for these activities.

Does anyone find their guest are deterred from these activities at the island because of the sink being there?

A couple of precautions I'm proposing to take is to 1) offset my sink to one side to give a good run of counter space for this and
2) make my island extra deep-5 feet- to maximize the distance anyone would have to be on the seating side from the sink.
3) using a fitted cutting board to cover up the sink area if necessary
4) I'm really good about keeping the sink and counters free of dirty dishes. I keep that dishwasher moving and emptied ready for any incoming dishes so they don't accumulate in the sink.

Thoughts?

Comments (8)