SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teacats_gw

Holiday Quizz --- for Just for Fun!

teacats
16 years ago

Found these questions around the Web -- and on various blogs ....... thought we might try them out!

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?

Egg nog mixed with Dark Rum. Ground Nutmeg on top.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

He puts them in festive holiday bags that happen to match the surroundings. Clever man! :)

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

White -- with sometimes a flash -- just to drive my DH crazy! "Why are THOSE strings flashing?? and the other ones are not ......"

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

Of course. Kisses never go amiss at the Holiday Time.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

Usually the first week of December -- but happened to be a bit early this year.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

Dressing. Whipped Sweet potatoes. Roast potatoes. Brussel Sprouts (but my DH won't even allow them into the house! LOL!)

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?

Living near Windsor, England and enjoying an Olde English Christmas.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

TRUTH?? WHAT TRUTH? I want innuendoes and fantasy -- thank you! :)

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

DH's family did -- we do ours on Christmas Morning after tea-and-toast. Its a rule that we must eat and THEN open gifts.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

In gold. Also with ornaments that look like old mirrors and old Russian icons.

11. Snow: love it or hate it?

Looks nice. Feels nice. In very short time limits. Otherwise -- in drinks.

12. Can you ice skate?

Used to -- years ago at the old Port Credit arena. Or on the Credit River. Can't imagine doing that now.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

Living in England.

14. Whats the most important thing about the holidays for you?

Planning. Then Relaxing. Then Drinking and Eating. Dancing. Not necessarily in that order.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Mince Tarts. Christmas Pudding (after the on-fire brandy has subsided) with Hard Sauce. Good Cheeses, Grapes, Apples and Pears.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Going to a wonderful Holiday Buffet at a hotel here in Dallas. We dress up and just Love to People Watch .......

17. What tops your tree?

Star on Top. Cat under tree.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?

The moment of finding the right gift. If its on sale -- that is considered a bonus.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

Past Three O'Clock.

20. Candy canes???

No. But nice for decorating around a holiday arrangement!

21. Favorite Christmas movie?

The Bishop's Wife. Holiday Inn.

22. What do you leave for Santa?

In our family -- we ALWAYS leave out the Best Scotch and shortbread. Mum always says that Santa will need a "warm-up" by the time he gets to our house ...... even when I was very little -- Santa always got a crystal glass of The Best.

Comments (13)

• mareda
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Neither - a hot apple pie. Apple Cider heated with cinnamon, a shot of Tuaca and a dash of whipped cream. YUM!

He wraps them, they go under the tree late Christmas Eve and nobody better touch those babies until Christmas Day. Shaking behind mom's back is okay, however.

Colored lights on big tree in living room and white lights on small tree in family room.

No.

The weekend after Thanksgiving and Bah Humbug! to anyone who says, "WAAAAAYYYY too early." Don't look at them, I say! ;-P

EXCLUDING dessert???? EXCLUDING??? Harrumph! Now I don't have a favorite, so there.

Getting a bottle of Heaven Scent. I thought I was so grown up.

My younger brother spoiled everything for me by telling me. YES, my younger brother. If ignorance is bliss, I'm ecstatic.

Yes. Just one.

Living Room - color lights, all kinds of ornaments. Sometimes we put cascading ribbons on, sometimes not. Family room - white lights, gold ornaments, small gold ribbons.

Looks beautiful from inside my house.

12. Can you ice skate?
    Ha! I haven't gone in a hundred years. At least.

Many favorite gifts for different reasons.

First, remembering the religious meaning behind the holiday. Second, family and friends and the feeling of hope and love that the holidays evoke.

Pumpkin bread and cookies that are only made for Christmas.

Buying each of my sons one or two ornaments every year that they hang on our tree, and that they'll get when they strike out on their own. It will be a tree of memories, as they'll remember where they've been and what they did as kids (vacation ornaments, guitars, Santa bowling, Santa fishing, football and baseball ornaments, etc.).

17. What tops your tree?
    An angel.

Giving - any day.

Oh Holy Night, Believe by Josh Groban from Polar Express and My Grown Up Christmas List by Natalie Cole.

20. Candy canes???
    No.

Polar Express, Elf, Holiday Inn, and Love Actually, which technically isn't a Christmas movie but I watch every year during the Christmas season. Oh, and a cheesy made for tv movie called 'Borrowed Hearts' with Eric McCormack and Roma Downey. It's on this Friday morning if anyone cares...lol.

Cookies and milk with carrots for the reindeer.

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Egg nog

He wraps them in special paper.

White

Yes, a whole kissing ball.

Usually my birthday-December 11th.

Dressing

Baking sugar cookies with my mom

I have two older brothers-that's how!

Sometimes

We have tons of ornaments. My mom started collecting ornaments for each of her kids when we were born, so when we each got married, we received big boxes of ornaments for our trees. I have three teenagers and have done the same for them. Plus, I love to travel and every time I take a trip I bring back an ornament as a souvenir. I have also made lots of ornaments. Our tree is truly a story of our family's life.

I like it for a little while. It has snowed once in the 14 years we have lived in Austin.

12. Can you ice skate?
    I have done it a few times, would not attempt it now!

Purple Stingray bike with a banana seat

Celebrating the birth of Christ with my family, being together.

Pumpkin cheesecake, eggnog pie, fudge, pralines

Going to church on Christmas Eve, then coming home and eating tamales and chili

17. What tops your tree?
    Star

Giving

Oh Holy Night

20. Candy canes???
    I hang them on the tree and I make peppermint bark with them

The Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation

Decorated Sugar Cookies and Milk or Eggnog

• Related Discussions

Quizz

Q

Comments (10)
    Hhhmmmm crepuscule OK! parme de Toulouse..well..OK! Parma Comte di Brazza: OK! No parma 'ash vale blue' but another one! Who will guess it?? The semi double is not The Countess of Shaftesbury...It is King of the double. Viola chaerophylloides: OK!! Even hidden Reine charlotte'!! waow! trop fort!! The pink one is a new thing!! ;-) Actully a sport from Lydia Groves! Viola chaerophylloides: OK!! Even hidden Reine charlotte'!! waow! trop fort!! The pink one is a new thing!! ;-) Actully a sport from Lydia Groves! What else?? :-)
    ...See More

Something fun for the Holidays

Q

Comments (7)
    Very verry C H E E R F U L !!!!! Thank you mosaicwench1 That is just what the doctor ordered !!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you !!!!! and A V E RRRRRRRY M E R R Y + C H R I S T MAS !!! God Bless ! susiesunshine
    ...See More

Just for fun - a style quiz

Q

Comments (37)
    fleur222, good question! At first when estate came up for me, I thought, huh, I don't like grand and stuffy but then I looked at the examples and my other results and realized that my style is classic and tradition with a twist. I look around my house and see my mix of family heirlooms and antiques along with new contemporary pieces and rich colors and think, yup, that's right. (take my interpretation with a grain of salt. I really should be in bed asleep but that coffee I had this morning is keeping me up. After giving it up for 9 months, I guess a little goes a long way now.) My plan for my kitchen is medium walnut stained red oak floors, quartersawn white oak cabinets with a raised panel for lower perimeter cabinets, island and hutch (stained lighter than the floors), creamy beige painted upper cabinets (our existing GO oak cabs), satin finished butterfly blue granite, beige subway tile, oil rubbed bronze cabinet hardware and lighting. And cheery red pinch pleat curtains at the windows because they make me smile. ;-) plllog, you're right, it's not a very well designed website. They didn't get their money's worth. Here is a link that might be useful: one of my inspiration kitchens
    ...See More

Just for Fun #6 - Name these red DA roses!

Q

Comments (42)
    What a delight to see even more beautiful roses! Thank you all for sharing. And the phone booth to boot :-) love it! Ann, re: 'Slater's Crimson China' It was one of the four original chinas brought to Europe that gave remontancy to OGRs and, in the case of "Slater's", red color too. I always have a special feeling when I see such historically important roses, also 'Old Blush' or 'Autumn Damask' and others that gave us not only so many descendants but new classes of roses too. HMF lists more than 14,000 cultivars as descendants from this rose, many of course removed from it by several and more generations. 'Cramoisi Superieur', probably my favorite china, is its seedling. That said, it was "lost" for some time and then "found" again. I put these in quotations because there is apparently more than one contender for the original 'Slater's china' and I believe it's still the subject of some controversy. The photo I posted is typical of every 'Slater's crimson china' that I've seen in Texas and Louisiana (I used to live in Texas): semi-double and double flowers, scarlet red that can sometimes turn more crimson depending on the weather and season, some with white streaks in the middle (not on all blooms though) and yellow center. I think these are the closest to what I've seen on illustration plates from the 19th & early 20th century for this rose like in Ellen Willmott's 'The Genus Rosa' book: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.291126 It's a smallish shrub and looks very dainty.
    ...See More
  • Ideefixe
    16 years ago

Hot mocha with rum

Wrapping paper, that sometimes matches ours and sometimes looks like brown paper bags.

White and golden yellow

Our stuffed stone sheep ram likes a snack, so he's chewing on a sprig.

After son's birthday, mid month.

Wild boar with port sauce

None--it's the adult memories that resonate.

Once I had kids, I learned the truth about Santa.

What gifts? Santa has to bring them all.

Fresh flowers, ornaments shaped like food, and lots of crocheted snowflakes.

In California? It looks nice in pictures.

12. Can you ice skate?
    Nope, but I like to watch other people.

Too many to count.

Family, decorating, doing things together.

Home made ice cream and sticky toffee pudding.

Making Christmas Eve dinner--fondue.

17. What tops your tree?
    BUg silvery snowflake

Giving.

Mele Kaliki Maka--it always makes me laugh.

20. Candy canes???
    Not to eat, maybe as decor. Or not.

Remember the Night, with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred McMurray

Cookies, vodka and hay

• Meghane
    16 years ago

This is Fun!

Hot chocolate, with a generous splash of Peppermint Schnapps, a dallop of whipped cream, and a peppermint patty garnish.

Dh and I wrap them.

White lights on outside and traditional tree. Chili pepper lights on Christmas Cactus and pink flamingo lights on pink tinsel tree.

No.

Weekend after Thanksgiving. Any time BEFORE T-day and I run screaming away.

Raw oysters. It's a Maryland thing.

Getting the honor of lighting the tree. It's still my job!

I don't remember ever believing in santa. I guess I'll have to ask Mom about that.

No.

The main tree in the LR has white lights. Since I was a child, my family has been going to the same Christmas shop to pick out our "Special Ornament" for the year. So I have 36 (Mom picked out my 1st one when I was -1 month old) ornaments from my life. We also hang all the ones people have given us throughout the years. It makes for a very eclectic tree- my Raggedy Ann hangs next to DH's Starship Enterprise for example. The only theme on that tree is that every ornament is special for some reason.

I have a giant pencil cactus (actually it's a succulent) in my game room that I decorate with chili pepper lights and southwestern ornaments.

My dining room is getting really silly. I have a tabletop fushia tinsel tree that I decorate with pink flamingo lights and pink birds. It's ridiculous and I love it.

1. Snow: love it or hate it?
      I only love it when skiing. I used to love it in MD. I hate it in NC because nobody around here knows how to drive in it so I get really worried that people will be seriously hurt or killed.

12. Can you ice skate?
    Yes. But I'm better at roller skating.

My favorite gift was a trip to Hawaii with DH.

I'm an atheist, but celebrate Winter Solstice. The most important things to me are 1) spending time with family and friends and 2) remembering that the days are now getting longer so I can stop being depressed.

See #1!

The special ornaments. We still travel to MD and go to the same store with my family and pick out the special ornaments.

17. What tops your tree?
    Copper star for the SW and traditional trees, a pink peacock for the pink tinsel tree.

I love giving the perfect gifts to my loved ones.

Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen. I don't mind any Holiday songs as long as I don't hear them until AFTER THANKSGIVING!

20. Candy canes???
    A couple, only the original flavor

Mine is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. DH's is Die Hard. He watches it every year while wrapping presents.

Nothing...

• bamagirl_2007
    16 years ago

Egg nog. Unless it's snowing and then it's hot chocolate.

Wraps them. He always coordinates the wrapping paper according to the person who is receiving the gift. He's very creative.

White only.

Yes. I have this old fake ball of mistletoe that I've hung for the past 25 years. My DH and I bought it the first year we were married.

After my daughters birthday which is Dec 5.

Cornbread and oyster dressing.

Believing in Santa. He would jingle his bells outside my window and I would be too excited to sleep and too afraid not to.

The fifth grade. My friends howled with laughter when they realized I believed.

We open one. It's always new pajamas for the kids (who are 23,20 and 17 but still want those new PJ's!)

We've given our children a new ornament every year and when they marry then they take them to their new home. So for now they are on my tree.

Love it, love it, love it.

12. Can you ice skate?
    Yes! I'm pretty darn good at it for an old person!

A Chatty Cathy doll. I still have her. She no longer chats.

Celebrating my Savior's birth. His birth changed history. And it changed my life.

Fudge. I eat one piece and gain five pounds.

We drive around neighborhoods looking at all the decorations. We started doing this when the kids were small. we'd bundle them up and take them and come home and drink hot chocolate.

17. What tops your tree?
    An angel.

Giving.

Oh Holy Night.

20. Candy canes???
    Always

Christmas Vacation (chevy chase)

Cookies if we have any left. If not, a few carrots.

• cind11
    16 years ago

Hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Santa sat them under the tree when I was growing up but he wrapped them for my kids. They were close in age and Santa was afraid they'd get mixed up as to which presents were theirs.

We always had colored until new tree this year with white lights. See my post re vent about prelit Christmas trees.

Nope.

Thanksgiving weekend.

Probably the Christmas cookies I make.

Putting the presents under the tree from my aunt who lived far from us. Her wrapping was a work of art. The gifts weren't wrapped so much as decorated. We'd open the box of gifts from her (she was in Fla. and we were in Ohio) and ooh and ahh over every gift.

I asked my mom after the Christmas when I was in third grade. Boy was I disappointed.

No, that would be cheating. (ha ha)

With clear iridescent, beads, white lights and many mismatched ornaments.

I like it especially before Christmas.

12. Can you ice skate?
    Yes. I enjoy ice skating with my daughters.

Um, not really. I've had many gifts I've liked.

Spending time with my family and all the traditions that are unique to us.

Christmas cookies.

Hmm. Not sure about this as we have many I like.

17. What tops your tree?
    An angel.

I really like both!

Carol of the Bells.

20. Candy canes???
    Nope.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Cookies and milk of course!

• amck2
    16 years ago

Egg nog, because it's the only time I have it.

Santa just sets them under the tree. Each of the 2 kids had a "side" and their filled stocking was set down in front of their Santa gifts.

White on Christmas tree, white on fresh greens garland on porch, white on 5 living Christmas trees in the front yard.

Yes, a sprig on the arch between kitchen & DR.

Begin December 1st.

My French Canadien mother's meat pies (toutiere)that are served on Christmas Eve.

Picking our my dad's voice among those singing in the men's choir at Midnight Mass. They sang in a choir loft accompanied by a big pipe organ. It was soul stirring to hear.

We celebrate Christmas at my parents' on Christmas Eve, so the presents from "my side" are opened then. DH, our kids and I do an exchange at home Christmas morning. Then we head to DH's folks and open "his side's" there. It's fun, but we're beat at the end of Christmas Day!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? DH loads a fresh cut, very full tree with white lights. Then we wrap garlands of white wooden beads around it (we bought those 30 yrs. ago when first married - a huge splurge for us at the time!) Then we have assorted ornaments that have been collected and given as gifts for the past 3 decades.

Since we're in NH, we expect to have it every Christmas. These days I want it just for the week of Christmas, and then it could disappear. I just hate driving in it.

12. Can you ice skate?
    We have a big back yard rink that DH has put up every year since my daughter played ice hockey in high school. I make a few cameo appearances on it throughout the season.

A kitten named "Beckett" that DH surprised me with the first year we were married.

Family, family, family! I would love to do away with all the gift obligations.

My mom's eggnog pie.

"Reveillon" - the Christmas Eve celebration at my parents'.

17. What tops your tree?
    Three huge gold bows that DH made out of wired ribbon - so that if you're looking at it from the LR, or coming in the front door, or through the front window, the top of the tree is "dressed."

Honestly, neither. I find it really stressful trying to find the perfect gift for people each year, and I always feel people have done too much when I get their gifts.

I do have a history of making Christmas Cookie Platters that I've given to close family and special friends for years. I love giving those, and people seem to look very forward to them. They begin reminding me about them around Halloween!

Religious - O Holy Night
    Secular - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

20. Candy canes???
    If I'm hungry enough..But I really prefer Peppermint Bark!

"It's A Wonderful Life"

When kids were home - Cookies, milk and carrots for the reindeer.

• namabafo
    16 years ago

Homemade Egg nog with whisky and brandy, please.

wrapped in "Santa" paper. Stocking gifts are unwrapped

White on Christmas tree, white on garland around door, colored on bushes outside (for the kids)

nope

Usually first weekend in Dec.

Vermicelli with lobster sauce served on Christmas Eve.

The outside big bulb lights glowing under freshly fallen snow.

We are at my bother's on Christmas Eve, so the presents from "my side" are opened then. We usually open our immediate family (dh and kids) close to Solstice. Santa presents on C-mas morning. Then DH's family celebrates Christmas Day, either here or at his sister's house. Parents are gone on both sides of the family.

white lights. Ornaments that have been collected over the years--from the kids, from our travels, etc...a very homey feeling tree.

I like it, but as I've gotten older, I hate to drive in it..

12. Can you ice skate?
    yup. even backwards! :-)

dh asking me to marry him

"Family, family, family!" I agree!

One of my many cookies.

Christmas Eve and the 7 fishes...not quite 7 anymore now that my grandmother and parents are gone...but definitely seafood on Christmas Eve

17. What tops your tree?
    A new silver wire star.

giving.

Hark, the Herald Angels Sing and The Carol of the Bells

20. Candy canes???
    on the tree

Elf, It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, Muppet Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th St. (1947) The Ref

nothing!

• ttodd
    16 years ago

BOTH - sorry! Egg Nog w/ nutmeg or Hot Chocolate w/ a shot of Butterscotch Schnapps.

Wrap, wrap, wrap, wrap, wrap! & he always seems to know what color's we've decorated in that yr.!

White in various sizes & finishes. I would like to do the house in colored lights just one yr. though. Not the tree though!

I keep meaning to! My Nana ALWAYS did!

Usually 2nd wk. of Dec. although I'm finally getting it together & we've already begun!

Hmmmm.... My mom's corn pudding. But her mashed potatoes are perfect. Her Ham is too. Did I mention her cherry pies?!

Well.... It's not my favorite but my family discusses it & laughs about it every yr. at my expense. When I was little I would get so worked up, excited & anxious about Christmas Day that on Christmas Eve I'd start getting sick & w/o fail every Christmas morning until I was 8 or so, I'd throw up as soon as my feet would hit the flr. Everyone would wait for me every morning while someone took me to the bathroom as soon as I woke up.

When I pulled the beard off of Santa & made all of the kids start crying. My mom always reminds me of how I yelled "YOU'RE NOT THE REAL SANTA CLAUS!" & yanked his beard off. We were asked to leave.

Yes, it was the only way my mom could get my nerve's to settle. DH asks me every yr. if I need to open a present on Christmas Eve & I always say 'No thanks, I'm a big girl now!'

In gold. Also with ornaments that look like old mirrors and old Russian icons.

Okay - that sounds really pretty!!!!

This yr. I have a red whimsical tree in the LR, I'm aiming for an elegant woodland tree in the office & I'd like to do a small cars, planes, trains & boats theme on a small white tree in the playroom.

LOVE IT! But I'd better be inside enjoying that doctored up hot chocolate by a fire.

12. Can you ice skate?
    Nope. That'd mean I'd have to go outside.

There are so many great gifts, but last yr. my sister who lives out of state & doesn't have much money to spare, put together a small basket of her favorite things. It makes me feel like we're together during the yr. sharing & introducing each other to new things. You can't beat that!

The shear magic, wonderment & joy of it all. My heart just sings - it feels like anything is possible!

My mom's cherry pie.

Watching It's A Wonderful Life w/ a bottle of red wine w/ DH.

17. What tops your tree?
    Usually a finial but I just found a great angel that I hid in the back at Bombay.

Totally giving! In my family we look all yr. long wherever we go for each other & we never ask for lists. You never know when you'll find the most perfect thing at some little dive on a wknd. trip in August & it was probably under $10! DH's family seems to always ask for lists & go at the last minute. Then they never get me anything off of it! It's taken me a long time to get used to the whole list & generic wrapping/ bag thing but I finally have.

Holy Night by Bing but I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas is a real close runner up!

20. Candy canes???
    Sometimes at DS1's insistence. He always wants you to have what he has.

Either The Santa Claus or Elf.

In our family -- we ALWAYS leave out the Best Scotch and shortbread. Mum always says that Santa will need a "warm-up" by the time he gets to our house ...... even when I was very little -- Santa always got a crystal glass of The Best.

Milk & cookies but I think we may be starting a new tradition this yr.! Thanks Teacats!

• judiegal6
    16 years ago

Hot Chocolate with a can of whipped cream

Wraps some, big ones open and displayed.

Multi in family room white on big foyer tree.

Sometimes

Right after thanksgiving, but the real tree around the 10th

Turkey with Stuffing

Midnight Mass and not being able to sleep

Older sister

When my kids were small "1" usually it was christmas pj's

The family room is a total mixture, all colors and home ones that the kids made in school

Love it, love it, love it ! It is snowing now!

12. Can you ice skate?
    Yes

My ironing board "toy"

Family of course

Home chocolate toffee candy

Opening gifts one at a time to enjoy each others (6 daughters) otherwise total chaos.

17. What tops your tree?
    Angel

Giving

All I want for Christmas is you - Mariah Carey

20. Candy canes???
    On the Family room tree

Christmas Vacation - Miracle 0n 42nd Street

Cookies and Hot Chocolate - Carrots and Celery for the Reindeer

• judiegal6
    16 years ago

oops 34th St not 42nd

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

Egg nog "neat" with a sprinkling of nutmeg

He wraps them, usually in paper with his picture on it.

It depends. Half the family prefers colored the other half (including me) likes clear. Putting lights on the tree is the most thankless job at Christmas

Of course. Kisses never go amiss at the Holiday Time. Ditto!

Anytime fter December 2 - my daughter's birthday. The tree usually goes up about 2 weeks before Christmas - this year probably the 15th, when both of my younger kids will be home from college

Stuffing and gravy

Opening our gifts - our family has a "system" that makes it last all morning

Don't remember

The kids get pajamas and a special ornament to put on the tree on Christmas Eve

With all the ornaments that we have collected through the years. Including an angel my youngest made in kindergarten made out of a plastic spoon, metallic ribbon and tinsel

Love it in small doses

12. Can you ice skate?
    No, I fall flat on my a$$. DH grew up skating and playing hockey

Suede coat

Having the family together

Cookies, especially 7 layer bars and Nanaimo bars

Decorating the tree and having eggnog and cookies

17. What tops your tree?
    A lighted star

Mostly giving, but receiving is fun too.

Carol of the Bells

20. Candy canes???
    No. But nice for decorating around a holiday arrangement! Ditto

Don't have a favorite

Cookies and eggnog

• les917
    16 years ago

Hot chocolate with whipped cream

Santa wraps presents every year in paper with some kind of Santa Claus print on it - no other designs or characters on the paper, just Santa. Different paper each year. That is only for the Santa presents, tho. The rest are wrapped in other paper.

White only on the tree and normally outside, but this year (again) younger DS is requesting colored lights outside, so I have given in. Nice mom that I am :^)

Yes, a kissing ball in the entry hall.

Usually after December 15, never sooner, sometimes later. The only thing we sometimes do is put on the outside lights earlier, when we get a warm day, but they don't get turned on until after the 15th.

Christmas favorite is ham balls. Thanksgiving fav is stuffing.

Going to bed with no tree up, and waking up to find the fully decorated tree and presents and stockings - it was magic!

1. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
      The truth is that Santa is real - the joy, fun, memories, excitement, sharing, love and magic that he represents are the spirit of the holiday!

We did as kids, as we went to my grandparents for Christmas Eve dinner and opened our gifts from them there. We don't do that, nor have we ever let the kids open anything the night before. That is not the holiday, imo.

White lights, ornaments that we have collected over the years - no two the same. The kids and DH and I each get a new ornament every year. The boys will take theirs with them when they move out on their own in years to come, as a start for their own trees. Also ornaments the kids have made in school and ones that we have been given as gifts.

HATE IT! Two more winters after this one, and I hope I never have to deal with it again, or at least almost never. Warmer climes, here I come!

12. Can you ice skate?
    Used to as a kid, even took lessons. Not now - my knees are bad and if I fell I would be there until spring when the ice melted and I could dogpaddle out.

A portable typewriter when I was about 12. Yes, that was long before computers, thank you. LOL

Sharing some time with my DH and sons, when they have no school and we can just hang out. Sitting by the tree on Christmas Eve while I recite "A Visit from St. Nick", a tradition since the kids were babies and I used to hold up the pix for them to see in the book.

I have a chocolate mousse cake that is my favorite.

I think reciting "A Visit from St. Nick" as mentioned above just before the kids go to bed. The boys, almost 17 and just turned 21, willingly participate, younger DS being the keeper of the book.

17. What tops your tree?
    A sterling silver star made by Lenox that I have had for 33 years. The kids take turns each year putting on the topper. I recall when they were so little that DH had to lift them to put it up there - now they are 5'11" and 6'2" - no lift required to reach anymore!

Giving something that brings joy.

I have too many to mention, but my kids know Christmas is near when they hear me singing "On December 5 and 20, fum, fum, fum".

20. Candy canes???
    Peppermint sticks in hot chocolate, otherwise no.

Holiday Inn. Love The Bishop's Wife, too!

A special santa plate from Waechtersbach that matches my holiday dishes along with a matching mug. Cookies of whatever variety is around and some milk. A few carrot sticks for the reindeer if we have any handy. Each of the kids writes a note to Santa and leaves it with the milk and cookies, and Santa always writes back.