SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilano

New countertops on old cabinets?

marilano
13 years ago

My townhouse was built in the 1970s and I've lived in it for about 15 years. I want to do a minimal and partial kitchen remodel to spruce things up. I especially want to put new countertops in to replace the chipped Formica (white with green flecks--which went with the avocado green appliances), but I don't want to replace the wood cabinets, which I like and had "refurbished" a few years ago and may refurbish again at a reasonable price. It's a small kitchen--modifed galley style (with one straight run that includes the sink and an L shaped area that includes the slide-in double-oven range--and no room for an island). The cabinets seem to be maple or pecan or a maple-stained birch perhaps, but they are probably builder's grade (with real wood doors but particle board sides and bottoms). I plan to stay in the house for another 5-7 years, then sell (and retire). I've read a couple of warnings about putting new countertops on old cabinets--in this case, 35-year-old cabinets. One issue is whether the old cabinets can support the weight of granite. The other issue is whether I'd be over-upgrading if I put granite (prefab slab) countertops on these old cabinets. Most new homes and remodels in my area (Silicon Valley in California) do have granite. But they also have new floors, new stainless appliances, and new cabinets--none of which I plan to put in. Most of my appliances are white. I even plan to keep my avocado green stove, since it has two ovens (including the small upper one I use all the time) and has a built-in range hood and works fine. So I'm guessing the next owner will do a tear-out and complete remodel of the kitchen when I sell, and I'll have to factor that into the selling price. So would it be crazy or not cost-effective to put in granite countertops now? Has anyone had structural problems putting granite on old/existing countertops? I'm considering laminate as a cheaper alternative to granite, and I've read some of the posts here in praise of laminate. But I'm not crazy about having a product made of plastic/petroleum products and paper. If the cost winds up being $1200-1500 for laminate, and $2000-2500 for granite, I think I'd prefer the granite aesthetically. But I also hate the idea (especially from an environmental point of view ) that whatever countertop I put in now would be torn out in 5 years or so by the next owner. And I don't want the cabinets to buckle. Any advice would be appreciated. marilano

Comments (12)