SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

can you glaze shaker cabinets?

13 years ago

Funny, I used to say I DISLIKED Shaker cabinets. I was neutral about many cabinet styles, but I actually did NOT like Shaker. I have had a complete turnaround. I think they would be perfect in my 1970s ranch (exterior has a faux spanish flair, barrel tile roof etc). I feel now that they have crip, clean lines that can look updated and fresh, yet NOT look trendy. I think they will stand the test of time. Do you agree?

Our original plan was to have a more traditional looking cabinet, an off white color, and to do a "coffee" glaze. I am wondering...does glazing a shaker style cab make sense? Are there enough "crevices" for the glaze to "catch"?

Seems like any pics I see of shaker cabs that are white...they are WHITE. Not an off white color, and not glazed.

I have wood floors (medium shade of stain) and we plan on doing waterloxed butcher block on perimeter counters, and something "funky" on the island where the cooktop is... *Maybe* a busy granite, maybe stainless steel, maybe concrete. I have even suggested tile (large tiles with skinny grout joints)-- but my DH is against it. I think it would be perfect for our cozy, unpretentious, 1970s home.

Anyway, share your thoughts about Shaker cabs...and also about Shaker cabs with a glaze.

Thanks!

Comments (2)