SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Paint or leave basement trim? Some is primed already

northcarolina
13 years ago

We are FINALLY finishing off our basement and I am, as usual, decision-impaired. Ceiling is painted, floor is done (and lovely too if I say so myself), and now it's time for the walls. However, I can't decide on wall color until I decide whether to paint the doors. This is a 12x20 space with 6 doors and 2 windows -- 8 doors if you count the French ones as 2 each. Some of the trim was primed long ago: the baseboards, window trim, and trim around the French doors. The snap-in muntins in the French doors also came pre-primed. The doors themselves, and the trim around all the interior doors, are bare wood. The wood is nice enough, but there is some wood filler over holes, and the filler doesn't match the wood. There is also an unfinished stairwell which has beadboard wainscoting, and my husband just told me that he would rather leave that unpainted because of the way the white-painted BB in our bathroom looks (cracks in the paint between the BB panels from expansion/contraction). So he votes to leave the doors unpainted to match the staircase BB, but I have been assuming I'd paint the doors since some of the trim is already primed and because of the smudges of filler on the bare wood. (Not that priming/painting 6 doors is that much fun, but I was prepared to do it.) I might try to find a way to paint the BB too. Any advice? Would the doors be better painted or left as is?

The below pics were taken before the new floor went in. The walls will not be staying white; that's just the primer.

Comments (6)