SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melinrk_gw

Wait till you hear this...good news!

melinrk
14 years ago

I have a happy contractor (well, happy customer due to great contractor) story for y'all.

Although the kitchen part of my reno hasn't started yet (2 week, I think), we are knee deep in the addition that we are building so that we can then do the kitchen. We hired the man who built our house 11 years ago to do all the work. We were happy then, never had any problems with the house, made sense to hire him for this.

When contract was signed, I gave him a small deposit. When work started, I gave him a large check to be held in escrow. With the contract came an itemized estimate of expenses. He told me that the prices for everything are the cost of the actual stuff plus 15% for him - very straightfoward. This week he handed me a stack of invoices for every purchase made thusfar. Stapled to the front was another copy of the estimate with another line added for the actual prices (with his 15%).

Not only was everything perfectly itemized, but the actual costs are LOWER than the estimates. I was shocked. An honest contractor? Lower costs? Unheard of, right? In fact, at this point in our project, we are $3500 below estimate. I know we'll make up that price somewhere else, but it's nice for now. Honestly, I wrote that ridiculously large check with pleasure because I was so happy to do business with someone honest. No arbitrary numbers, no wondering if we were overcharged.

I was truly shocked - pleasantly - but shocked. I just had to share a good contractor story because so many of you have lived with the hellish ones. They're out there, I swear. Good people who work honestly, do a good job for a fair price.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that it continues to go this smoothly.

Comments (21)