SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

Another stab at layout...and beginnings of BS consideration

steph2000
11 years ago

As I go round and round, contemplating the various dilemmas of this small house while likely over-exposing myself to so many great ideas, another option has come up I wqanted to run past people.

It all started when I started looking at what would happen to the kitchen if dealing with the washer/dryer that is on the other side of the wall requires a bumpout to make it fit. (Right now it juts a foot out into the hallway, impacting the little walkway/hall that leads to the bathroom.) It motivated me to get out the tape measure and layout program and come up with this:

Which, you know, got me thinking that the mini-nook created by the bump out would allow me to go topless on the range wall and to go with some color on that wall because it would be recessed a bit. As I played with it, it also seemed to help out the dilemma of how to deal with backsplash on that wall given the backsplash window that is on the exterior wall.

We might be able to find a smaller W/D and according to my partner, this might become a non-issue. It does seem that having uppers on the interior wall does make it kind of tricky to deal with the window BS in a way that harmonizes and makes sense - while just eliminating the uppers on that other wall somehow doesn't create that complication? It's just something different, wtih a little bit of it brought over the sink? Is my thinking right on that?

It also gets rid of the dreaded upper corner cabinet and allow for full symmetry on the exterior wall at least on the uppers (which I love).

We aren't talking about a great deal of lost storage, but obviously, in a small kitchen everything counts and I have to be really smart about the rest of the layout to justify such an indulgence as a topless wall in this tiny house. lol But, just for kicks, what do you think?

From the front door/sitting room area:

There are still some heavy dilemmas about the layout. Especially involving the lowers on the exterior wall. My love of the symmetry on the uppers is creating some dilemmas on the lowers as I try desperately to center the darn sink. In the last rendition I went down to an 18" DW, which I can live with. I also have gone to a tall, skinny fridge to get a pullout pantry on the side of it. But, I've either lost the garbage or the appliance storage in the corner, depending on which way the bullet is bitten. Not really very viable... The area left of the sink is so, so tight.

Any and all suggestions, impressions, gut reactions welcome.

Here's one tile that I think would be great on a floor to ceiling application, as I do believe eye candy is the accepted currency around here?

Comments (14)