SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

Layout Advice Requested

grlwprls
11 years ago

1. Currently, there is no venting. So consider that we need to install venting. You can see your exterior access points in the picture. You can't go up.

2. The 48" Subzero is ancient, but recently repaired. I'd be open to keeping it, but we did originally plan for the 42" Electrolux Icon, then changed to a 36", then changed back to the Icon. Now, for $$ sake, maybe keeping the SZ.

3. The ceilings are 9' in the main kitchen, with two chases to accommodate the second floor plumbing (or so that's what all the contractors say, we haven't actually opened them up). The ceiling above the desk area/rear door is 8' because of the stairs to the second floor. Keep that in mind in terms of venting.

4. The wall with the bar sink is full height (9'). We are closing in the opening to the immediate R of the bar sink. That's a non-negotiable. I know. But in real life it makes sense.

5. We do not use the rear door, other than to take the trash down. That said, for someone else, it could be a point of ingress/egress.

6. Yes, we have 18" between the edge of one countertop and the island! WTH?

7. The wall behind the stove is a clipped corner because the PO took the cooktop out of the island (killing the only functioning exhaust - a downdraft) and replacing the wall ovens with a 30" freestanding gas stove.

8. We have gas access under the house, well beyond where the stove is now, so you can put a 30-36" gas stove anywhere.

9. Our family room (living room) is immediately behind the wall with the bar sink.

1. This is an old neighborhood, so all the kitchens are screwy. Be creative. I've always had small kitchens, so I'm not a slave to the whole "I have to have 42" of prep space beside the stove." I do like ample pathways, though. I'm a single cook, but everyone has a knack of being exactly where I am planning on going. So I need room to get by them.

2. I cook. I don't bake. I have a lot of spices to store. I prep a lot of vegetables. I cook a lot of seafood and curry. So you can imagine how much I miss a good vent hood.

3. The house was built in 1920 and I'd like to honor that era, but not be a slave to it. I am not apologetic that I cook in my kitchen. For instance, I don't mind having exposed pot storage.

Let me know if you need any other information. EDITED TO ADD: The sink/DW run is 5 ft. before it hits the angle for the stove. The sink is flush against the wall to the left (which isn't drawn in on the plan...sigh. But it has the plumbing vent stack for the sink in there and I think it ties into the second floor bathroom which is immediately above the kitchen.)

Comments (23)