SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostonsue

layout question: stove/range by entry door?

bostonsue
12 years ago

Hello, I have done a million searches online with questions about my kitchen remodel and this forum keeps coming up, so I thought I would join and try to get some constructive feedback.

I'm in the planning stages of a remodel of a Cape kitchen, circa 1950. The kitchen still has the original cabinets and stove. I would love to keep the stove, but it's really big for the space (37" wide) and needs to be restored to be fully safe and functional.

The area I am getting hung up on is the layout. The current layout is in an L-shape that is very common for this house style and period. When you enter the kitchen, the refrigerator is immediately to your right, and then a few inches to the left of that is the sink under a window, with a three cabinet/counter run and then the freestanding stove on the wall perpendicular to that. There are not any cabinets or counters on the stove wall.

I would like to get the refrigerator away from the entry door b/c I cannot open it all the way to clean it and it's awkward when company is here and I'm trying to get in and out of the fridge and people are coming in and out.

I am planning to remove the dining room wall, but that room is small as well so I'm trying to keep the kitchen area in more or less the same space.

I have had three proposals so far but the one I am leaning towards switches the stove and refrigerator. I did not like it at first but I am thinking it will not present as big a conflict to have the stove near the door and the plan also allows a small 9" cabinet to the right of the stove.

Anyone have any thoughts, advice, insight, or other layout ideas? Thanks so much!

Current kitchen dimensions and layout:

By suead at 2011-08-07

Layout I am leaning towards:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (14)