SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Learn me carpeting 101. Please...

celticmoon
15 years ago

Been in this house 10 years hating the good quality but dirty looking plush taupe carpeting (that SO hates the oak builtins everywhere, I can't begin to tell you). It is 20 years old. Time to go.

I want to redo the (also gross taupe) tiled front entry, and the kitchen vinyl. Gotta get that pinky grey purply business everywhere underfoot outta here! I prefer yellow based browns, tans, sages, greens and clear colors, and that's made the pinky grey carpet and vinyl a real challenge. Starting fresh (will paint, etc. likely staying in EK but repainting the pinky Mushroom that was my best compromise. Looking at Cafe Au Lait for LR/DR, keep Sage in study off entry, Cornsilk, Amy Sarasota or Luminiere in skylight towers, Chartreuse or Citrone for mudroom, kitchen is BM Victorian Garden, bedrooms...?) I'd like to make peace with the oak rather than look at ripping all that out too.

Sooooooo.....

Being ignorant about buying carpeting, I'd love any information on brands, textures, colors, etc. The house is medium upper end and I'm not going anywhere. Resale is not a concern but I'd expect what I put in to wear well and last. I don't care to do what is very trendy, but I don't want to pick something laughable in texture/style because I am clueless either.

Seeking help with finding a basic good quality carpeting in a neutral color (think EK Wheat). I'm exploring Amtico for entry and kitchen idf that metters. Carpet brands? Dealers? Anything I would learn the hard way I'd rather know now? What the heck does good carpet cost anyway? Do they move the furniture or do I? Is there a carpeting primer somewhere? I am so clueless....

There will be tears of joy when the taupe plush is outta here. (I've had a crappy year and really deserve this!)

TIA bigtime.

Comments (3)