SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimskitchen_gw

New, decisions: Veneer vs solid, durable countertops

aimskitchen
11 years ago

Good morning;

I'm new to this forum, but have already learned much reading others's posts. We're planning a kitchen remodel and could use input. Our kitchen is the hub of our very busy home, where we're raising 6 children and cooking just about everything we eat, as several of us have extensive food allergies. We also host all the family events, so our kitchen needs to be a workhorse. That said, it's a teeny space opening to a larger dining area, so I'm trying to make the most of the space we have in terms of lovely, very durable materials. Questions:

- Solid vs veneer: I've chosen cherry cabinetry in a recessed panel doorstyle, maybe best described as shaker. However, the door style I like in my price range is only available with a veneer center panel. I could go with a solid in the same range, but the door would have wider molding around the edges, giving it more of a rustic or craftsman look; I'm going for vintage. My options as I see it are to stay with the look I like in veneer, upgrade to another company at considerable expense for a solid in the same style, or choose a raised panel door with a similar look.

What I'm not clear on is how durable a veneer center panel door really is, and if the durability issue makes it worth upgrading to a solid door. While our kids are well behaved, there are a bunch of them and they're active participants in meal prep and clean-up. One of our guys wears prosthetic legs and the titanium knees are not easy on anything they bang into. Opinions appreciated on whether it'd be wisest to move to a a solid door or whether veneer truly is tough enough.

Secondly, countertops: again, they need to be tough as nails. Kids will be doing clean-up, so countertop around sink will get banged inadvertantly during dishwashing, although I'm planning a 30" sink to give more room. I love the vintage look of soapstone and marble, but have ruled these out due to durability issues. I like superwhite granite and a darker granite that is similar to soapstone in color, but wonder about the durability of both. Yes, I know one is white and the other dark, but I think both could work in a vintage look kitchen. I haven't explored corian and wonder if I should. Can anyone recommend a durable, beautiful countertop that can give me a look I'm going for?

Thanks so much!

Comments (2)