SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babyraccoon_gw

Wood veneer or laminate for durability?

babyraccoon
9 years ago

Hi all,
I'm sure this question has probably been covered before, so my apologies if this is well-trodden ground. I'm a little out to sea with choosing the finishing material for our new kitchen. We're going for a contemporary, flat-panel oak (or oak-look) kitchen.

Our budget won't stretch to plywood carcasses, so I'm ok with high-quality MDF which seems to be far more common over here in Europe. As for the finish, it's between veneers or wood-look laminate. In one case, the supplier is able to do oak veneers within budget, from a Danish supplier who will do everything custom (Sonderborg Kokkenet). He says the kitchen will easily last 20 years, which is my main concern - durability! In another case, the kitchen company will make the kitchen up here in Ireland using wood-look laminates of my choosing. I'm satisfied that in both cases the carcasses, hinges etc will be of equal quality.

Certainly the wood veneer looks more genuine, and he assures me that peeling won't happen due to the way they adhere the edges. But, which is ultimately more resistant to surface scratching, wood veneers or laminate? We have small children and this is my main concern for wear and tear.

Comments (17)