SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spider96

SO frustrated- need advice about builder

spider96
13 years ago

So we are building 2 hours away, and during the planning phase, I sent our builder e-mails almost daily, and he responded every morning. Of course, that was before we signed the contract....

Now, I e-mail him almost daily with questions, and he is just not very responsive. Sometimes he writes back, but sometimes he does not. I know this is because he's out in the houses every day and just does not have very much time for e-mail. He's a one man operation and does not have any support staff. I know he has a limitied time he reads e-mail every morning, but apparently mine either are not a big priority or he just doesn't usually write back. This week alone, I sent him about 7 e-mails. After not hearing back from him, I sent him another one on Thursday summarizing all of my e-mails and asking him a few more questions. Still haven't heard back from him. Of course, I could call him...and he is very good about picking up the phone or calling right back, but I don't want to call him over every little thing. Most of it is not urgent, it's just about changing something on the flooor plan. Although one of my questions is about windows, which need to be ordered in a few days, and he has not written back about that either.

I am growing increasingly frustrated. I cannot go the next 6-7 months like this, but I don't know if my expectations are too high or what to do about it. I don't want to say something and make him mad, so I've tried to be understanding. If I call and say "did you get my e-mail?" He'll apologize and say he's behind on his paperwork and only has a limited time for e-mail. He's actually a very nice guy, and always nice on the phone. I think he's probably a great builder to work with in person, when you can see him and talk to him, but not so much for someone who is not there.

How would you feel in my position and what would you do? Thanks for any opinions.

Comments (25)