SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

If it was good nuff for Julia, what's wrong with this backsplash?

marvelousmarvin
10 years ago

Since it would have been Julia Child's 101 birthday this week, I've been looking back at pictures of her famous kitchen which even garnered an exhibit at the Smithsonian Museum.

Julia Child used pegboard as a practical way to store items in her kitchen, but I was thinking there has to be something wrong with pegboard or else why haven't I seen it in more kitchens?

Given how much people loved Julia Child, I'm surprised that we never really saw pegboard catch on more in the kitchen.

Did people dislike pegboard for aesthetic reasons, or for more practical reasons?

For example, that pegboard backsplash just seems so practical and a great way to store kitchen tools, especially if you have limited drawers. I've got all these kitchen tools that have holes in them so you can hang them, but nothing to hang them from.

From an ergonomic point of view, we've got a limited range of heights where we can easily reach things. And, that backsplash height is right in the middle of that range. But, we don't really do anything with that backsplash space.

This post was edited by marvelousmarvin on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 0:42

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations