SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shiyun1201

How to use 120 v 600w cuiainart food processor in china

shiyun1201
9 years ago

I got a dumb question here, how do I find the right device to use the US bought cuisinart food processor in china? The food processor uses 120v, and is 600watts. But the Chinese voltage is 220 v. I know I need to get a voltage converter to step the voltage down. But there also seem to be an issue with the amperage as well. What type of converter should I get? Thanks in advance. I got the food processor for my
Elderly mother to make it easy for her cooking. I have been so happy with my cuisinart, so, that's the only one I will get. But now, the problem is get it ready for her to use it in china. Thanks in advance for all the advice and suggestions!

Comments (5)

• Zoladub Dub
    9 years ago

is searched on google and i found a site that quoted kitchen aid saying it isn't recommended.

: Will the US-model KitchenAid mixer work in Europe?

A: Yes, they will work. But we do not recommend it. US units are 110V, Europe runs on 220V. This will slow down the unit causing it to overheat.

Q: Is it possible to use a converter or transformer?

A: That is possible as well, and again, we donâÂÂt recommend it.

Q: If I take my mixer out of the country, is the warranty still valid?

A: If you take the unit out of the United States, it does void the warranty.

Q: Are there any other hazards to using a US-model KitchenAid abroad?

A: Hazards include: overheating, possible property damage, and personal injury.

The bottom line is we donâÂÂt recommend use of the units outside the USâ¦due to the hazards that could arise.

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Unless the motor has a 110/220 selector (most won't) I would strongly advise against it. You will burn out the motor much faster and/or the voltage step-down. But a cheap unit over there...

• vdinli
    9 years ago

I face this problem too when I take gifts from here to my parents in India. The step down versions don't work very well. I wouldn't try it for something pricey like a food processor. I don't know where you are but in the NJ area there a few 110/220 stores. They sell 220v versions of popular US machines and 110v machines of popular european ones. Maybe you can call a few and see if they have a cusinart equivalent.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

If you haven't bought it yet, I would look into getting something like a Breville 220. They're a New Zealand company and generally their 220 versions are even better than the 110 models they make for the US. Not just better motors but more features.

The 220 all-in-one, for example, has a double bladed chopper instead of the single blade on the US model.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I finally heard from my son who used step up/down converters when he lived in China for 3 years. He thought a good one would be around $100, but I see ones on Amazon of the right size that are half to 3/4 of that. (He didn't buy his own, they were supplied by his employer.)

One of the ones on Amazon advises:
    For safety, it's recommended by the manufacturer that the voltage transformer's maximum power should be equal or greater than the power rating of your appliance multiplied by 1.5. For example, if you have an appliance rated at 100 watts, you will need to pick a transformer with a maximum power of 150 watts or greater.

This puts your 600W appliance at 900W. 1000W is a common size. 1500W, 2000W, and 3000W are also readily available.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!