SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

No wall cabinets adjacent to chimney hood--how high to tile?

julieste
10 years ago

For backsplash in our slight update I'm going with an off white crazed subway tile in a 100 year old house with a period feel to the kitchen. Other than the wall behind the range, all of the other backsplash will be only on the wall between the counter and the bottom of the upper cabinets.

The range wall is the short end of an L, with ceiling height cabinets on the adjacent wall but no cabinets on the range wall. Our ceilings are 9' high, so I've got a space about 5' wide by 6' high to deal with. My 30" Wolf range has a 10" riser so that visually eliminates a bit of the wall space.

I see my two choices as being tiling all the way to the ceiling or tiling up to the bottom of the hood (a Zephyr pretty unobtrusive, low profile, bell shaped Anzio hood that is only about 5" high on the chimney part).

http://zephyronline.com/products/essentials_europa/anzio_wall

What would you do? Will this seem like too much tile if I go all the way up? Will it look goofy if I just stop at the bottom of the hood? My one thought about having it stop at the bottom of the hood is that this would give me the opportunity to paint to have some color at that part of the kitchen. Are there any pros or cons to either approach?

Thanks for the help before I calculate how much tile to order.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz