SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmartin_gw

Which option do you like, if any?

pmartin
14 years ago

I am starting to think about our living room area. It hasn't been touched yet and I know that there is a whole lot of yellow going on. The 2 wingbacks and oversized chair will be reupholstered in colors yet to be determined. The couch is staying as is. I would like a small round coffee table in the center with no glass. I first need to address the big blank wall. This is what it looks like currently:

From far back before I changed the furniture layout:

I am considering two options:

#1 electric fireplace with tv mounted above with bookcases on the sides:

#2 Large entertainment unit as shown (will fill almost entire wall):

Which do you prefer? Any suggestions to make this room comfy and cozy for a family with 2 small children to enjoy?

Note: tv hook-ups are on that wall and it needs to stay there. Curtains took me time and money to make so they to will stay for a while longer.

Open to any comments you may have.

Comments (76)

• User
    14 years ago

Oh I'm so happy you like it. You made my day!
    I'm not sure about hardware for sliding doors, but my guess would be it's out there somewhere. Finding it might be the hard part. I'd try Lowes since they do have an area with replacement hardware for furniture you buy that needs to be put together with all those little odd do-dads. Doors can be made to slide in grooves too. Not sure how to explain it other than there are grooves in the shelves above and below where the doors go. The top groove is deeper so you can slide the top of the door into it first at an angle then by moving the bottom half of the door in and then letting it slide down into the groove on the bottom shelf. Once there it can slide both ways.
    If you still want a faux fireplace for somewhere else in your home I just saw two at JCP.com on clearance. Not sure if you'd be able to get the free shipping on them or not, but they are having free shipping on $25.00 or more through the 30th.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP Fire Places.

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Squirrelheaven,

The glare from the windows onto the tv is much worse across on that short wall than where it is now. I like it on the wall it is now so when something interesting catches my attention and I am in the kitchen preparing supper I can see it. It would drive me crazy to have to run around the corner to see what they are showing on one of my favorite decorating shows. I'd miss it everytime. Actually if it is pushed to far left on the wall it is on currently it can be hard to see too. Good thing to make a mental note of as well.

I don't see anything great about that wall, other than its big, blank and the pitch of the ceiling is at a diaganol. From your perspective and eye view, which btw, I appreciate and trust, makes it an architectural feature? Afterall, I should be capatlizing on them, there aren't many in this home.

Pam

• Related Discussions

Panasonic Whisper options - which do you use?

Q

Comments (23)
    You're pretty much stuck running a dedicated 20 amp circuit to each WhisperWarm. What it really comes down to is the size of the wire going from your panel to the bathroom. The breaker is sized to match the size of this wire, not necessarily the loads that will be put on it. So, you could put a larger breaker, but then you've got a nice fire risk when you run more current than it was designed for through it. Not to mention you can pretty much nullify your home insurance policies if there's a 30A circuit running on 12 gauge wire. So, your options would be to change out the whole wire run from the panel to the bathroom and run a 10 gauge wire w/30 amp breaker, or put in a separate circuit. I think the latter is your best option. Code varies by area. They might not go for having a 30a circuit for bathroom receptacles. Whatever you do, don't just swap out the breaker and call it a night. I hate electrical inspectors and hate many parts of the electrical codes, BUT, the breaker/wire sizing guidelines are not something you want to deviate from.
    ...See More

Kitchen hutch designs - which do you like best?

Q

Comments (25)
    Thanks everybody. There are so many talented people out there. Bmore, that's a very good point about the center doors not opening as far in option 1. We had not considered that. Originally, we did have something akin to a corbel. I worried about it getting too cute. DH will post that later. Country smile, my main reasons for this "hutch" are for a large expanse of counter space plus additional storage. The need for counter space is one reason I do not want to bring any part of it to the lower cabinetry, as several people have suggested, though I agree it would look attractive. DH and I refer to this section of the kitchen as a hutch, as a way to differentiate it from the other sections. But it does not have to be furniture like, just attractive, proportional, and functional. I agree with others here that the all glass option opens up the space, and is a good contrast to the large floor to ceiling wall pantry, which will hold a small microwave, food, etc. Though this kitchen will have far more storage than my current kitchen, it is not huge. I am just not certain if I can afford to give up this space that I might need for practical items and don't want to end up adding fabric down the road. I too am a dish freak, though they don't all go together. So, I want practical and at the same time pretty, hence, trying to combine the glass and closed doors. LWO, a good point about not making the whole thing so wide. The architect suggested we could do that and I also felt it was crowded. DH is working on getting the final plans drawn up for the cabinet maker, but will play will all of your ideas later. Many many thanks to all of you. GW is becoming our KD.
    ...See More

Do you like these options for my island light?

Q

Comments (15)
    Had to jump in here- I agree that the general feel of your kitchen is more traditional and the stunning fixture your dad made is also traditional. I also havea tiffany style light over my table (have had it for a long time and didnt want to change it) and recently got pendants.. the ones I got have a slight amber glow and the other ones I strongly considered were more white, but they kind of mimicked the feel of the tiffany. Here is the one I got The other one I considered I do not have a pic of but here is a link to it. They both happened to be kichler and I got mine from csn.com Here is a link that might be useful: for your consideration
    ...See More

Which table (if any) do you like?

Q

Comments (34)
    I think you did good buying from Overstock. Their shipping is SO reasonable. And I've had nothing but troubles with JCP for three separate orders. They were not damaged, they just have no idea how to run an online shopping setup. Be aware that I waited three months for two chairs on the first order, and two months on the second order, and then a month for something they claimed was IN STOCK at a local store. Not a good experience at all.
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

I like the cabinet on the big wall. The wall cabinet adds some weight to the room. Have you considered maybe changing out your white fan. I see your other light fixtures are a dark metal. I think it would look good if your fan was dark metal with maybe wooden blades, if you go ahead with the big wall cabinet.

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

I love your inspiration photo of pale cabinet with cabinet doors hiding TV -- something like that will look great!

I also had thought about reversing placement of TV and sofa, but it sounds like viewing TV from kitchen is really handy.

Curious what the short wall behind chair and half looks like -- is there an opening in it?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I picture something like this, to highlight the architecture of your room. Here's a built-in version using your beautiful inspiration pic. Of course, the layout could be modified. I scooted the chairs over a tad, maybe 6 inches. A dark fan would be nice, but don't imagine that's coming out, being a new build.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• User
    14 years ago

Ooooh, I really like squirrel's last post.

• User
    14 years ago

Squirrel, you always amaze me. When I grow up I want to be as good as you are at making virtuals. LOL.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

I like like squirrel's last post too, but if you could find the hutch ready made, it would be fine (and maybe less expensive), and with your coffee table change out - Bob's your uncle!

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

pmartin - I've had that same inspiration hutch saved in my files forever as an idea for a possible built-in someday. I really like that it looks more like furniture when the doors are shut, although in my house they would probably remain open more often.

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, so much to think about! Just when I thought I KNEW what I wanted I see your amazing ps virtuals, SquirrelHeaven, and think nope that would be good! You inspire me everytime. I completely understand how the whole wall could be utilized now and must say, it looks pretty darn good that way. Makes the room feel very homey which is what I want. I like the fan brown, of course, now that I see it in the photo. But like you said that isn't something I am spending another $500 on. Neat to see the color of the wings changed out too! I have no idea what color to do them in just yet. The chair and 1/2 is pretty beaten so it will be done first and then coordinate the chairs.

Back to reality here though. The width of that wall is 14ft. We never hire anything out, DH does it all so I think this might be a project that is beyond our abilities. I also did a very brief configuration of cabinets. I would have to have (4) 36" cabinets and (1) 24" cabinet to span across the bottom of the wall. By the time I add the rest it is going to exceed the amount that I would be allowed to spend.

SquirrelHeaven: can you work your magic and transfer the image of the inspiration photo cabinet like justgotabme did in her photo? I really liked her mock-up and think that we could work within those dimensions easily. I think I am leaning towards the lighter color too as in the inspiration photo.

Thanks for taking the time to work on my room. It is exciting to see the changes and what could be.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

It's ready and awaiting for your return : )

One thing about a wall of built-ins, is that it would likely increase your house value, imo. I know it would for me.

I like the hutch in there, but it does fight the lines of the ceiling and isn't as cohesive or harmonic overall. A built-in wall plays to the architecture and dynamics of that wall. With a large piece like the hutch, the contrasting angle of the ceiling makes the room feel more like furniture lined around the perimeter than it otherwise would, I think.

So, since you're changing the floral piece, here's something else. Someone mentioned the modern coffee table was going, so here's something more to your country taste, to change the feel of the other and overall room.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the same size as GottaBe's, and then made higher to house your current tv (about the same size as the original hutch I posted, but a little bit wider).

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• darenka
    14 years ago

Pmartin, sorry I cannot be there to help today. :-) I'm just taking a break from getting ready for the next round of visitors. I keep trying to do little things to improve the looks of my own house in between what has been a pretty constant parade of guests. But after seeing squirrel's visuals, try not to give up on the 'built-in' yet. If you are going to paint, you don't need perfect new cabinets. I know when my mother had her bathroom redone, the installer said he tries to donate some of them to Habitat for Humanity, but very few do--they just end up in landfills. Scour CL, Freecycle, and Habitat, then call a few installers and ask them to keep a look out for a kitchen coming down in your area in fairly good shape. If you went to pick some cabinets, it would save them from having to haul them off. Lots of areas are starting to charge for landfill so you might be doing them a favor. If you go that route, you could probably do this project for $100-200

If that totally creeps you out, go over to the kitchen forum and ask people where they have picked up relatively cheap RTA type of cabinets. IKEA comes to mind, but I bet there are other options. Some people have done some pretty fabulous kitchens on a budget so I'm sure there are resources out there. If you have an IKEA local, you could probably still do the project for whatever you budgeted for an entertainment center. One positive about IKEA is you could do some drawers (like in the center) flanked by doors if you want. Think of the storage!

If you went on-line to Rockler's or Woodworkers Supply, you'll see a plethora of fastening, sliding options. I think what you'd like are pocket doors, but honestly, they are a PITA unless you have some skill and some power tools. (You'll find instructions on line and see if it's in your skill set.) As far as fixing the top to the wall, you could use "L" brackets for instance as it's cheap and easy, but I think it looks unfinished. (Though L brackets could be hidden behind the line of vision with a crown). I'd make a cleat board and attach it that way so it becomes part of the whole unit and it looks finished. You don't want something this big to look like a bad DIY project. Honestly though, you use predone cabinets, and it's not a hard one. Sounds like you and DH do enough DIY that it's certainly possible. Now that you have a great visual, ask DH what he'd like to do.

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, it looks good too. But I just showed DH and he really liked the full wall of cabinets. He actually shook his head and couldn't believe that my virtual friends spend time helping me out like that. You guys are the greatest, I've always thought it but never told you. Thanks.

Anyhow, he realizes he now has yet another project added to his already long list. Tough call which project to direct him to first this winter:, keep working on basement to finish the 1 bedroom and main rec area, or work on the new entertainment area upstairs. Oh, the decisions that I must make for him :0)

Thanks for doing the mocks for me ladies. They really do help to "see" the options and how different they can change the room.

I will keep you updated on which project gets tackled first.

• User
    14 years ago

Pam, have you checked out the in stock cabinets at Home Depot and Lowes? They are not inexpensive, but much less than ordering them. You could always watch Craigslist for cabinets left over from a remodel. Make sure to check the materials for sale list and if you have a local salvage store you can check there too.
    Good Luck!

• loribee
    14 years ago

Great virtuals!!!
    Just have to say 2 quick things...your home is soooo lovely & I adore my faux, electric fireplace.
    I think you should look for one if you think you'd enjoy having it.

• sydardev
    14 years ago

First of all you have a beautiful home....love your kitchen and I think it's decorated lovely. I actually like the mock-ups SH did with the hutch, not the built-ins. To me, the built-ins look slightly off balance because of the slanted ceiling. If the straight top of the hutch seems awkward, perhaps you can add some accessories to the top but maybe angle them a bit to go in line with the ceiling. Any choice you make though won't be wrong, you have a great room to start with.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

My first choice would be fireplace with bookshelves on the side as you mentioned with TV above. loribee's is very pretty! 2nd would be something like justgotabme's rendering on a slightly smaller scale (well done again, jgbme). You have such a nice airy openly spacious home, agree with sydardev about the built-ins and slant. Also presents that wall as quite heavy and busy, weighing it down beyond it's surroundings so that it doesn't seem to fit in relation to the rest of the space.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

haha

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

pm, One thing I wanted to ask you is what the depth is to the left of that window. Things like that get distorted in photos (and the virtual is also a bit distorted). My note or caution on the wall of shelves is whether there's enough depth there. Or, it might need to be not so deep a unit (with the lower cabs extending into the space). The curtains (tight on the left) look like they could move in toward the center a bit more. Had also thought a fireplace included in with the wall of shelves might look nice. Lori's looks like it isn't a very deep one.

Here's the hutch with accessories, which I'd done the other day, in case you were still leaning towards the hutch or the depth isn't there. Believe I made it a bit small, but not sure. Something like this helps handle the peak, as syd also mentioned.

I'm sure you'd be taking these things into consideration as you plan and develop a design. Just wanted to make sure to point it out.

Thanks GottaBe! And your virtual is great.

{{!gwi}}

• sydardev
    14 years ago

Yes SH...I think that looks awesome! You guys and your virtuals are AMAZING!!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Thanks, syd : ) Yes, it does look very nice. The power of virtuals -- and accessories!

• loribee
    14 years ago

Lovely....even down to the furniture colors and accessories! Great job~

• User
    14 years ago

You are very welcome Squirrel. And you did it again. I'm lovin' this last one.

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This lot of cabinets was just posted on the site...wondering if it could be modified (painted, new handles and some doors removed in middle to accomodate my tv) to work for my LR. It is 8 x 10 ft. It is posted at $350

I'm not sure about the style of the doors? What do you think?

• User
    14 years ago

Pam, I think it has great possibilities and what a deal pricewise! I'd make sure to ask if this come apart and if so how many pieces and where it comes apart. Oh I would love to help you with this project!
    Oh, who wide is your wall?

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've already emailed the seller and he sent a photo of how it breaks down into 4 pieces. Luckily, works for me. I would use the 4 middle lowers and 4 uppers total of 8' wide by 10' tall by making a shelf above out of the header. I would take the doors off the 2 center uppers and take out shelves to make room for tv (48" wide -- tv is 42". I would use the end panels to enclose the cabinet. I beleive the wall is 17' wide, but will measure when I find the tape measure.

What about the shapes of the doors? I would also enclose the uppers...I think.

• User
    14 years ago

Will you be painting this to look like your inspiration cabinet? If so I think that detail will work to your favor. I love it! I can't wait to see it finished.

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would definetely paint it to look more like the inspiration photo. I am waiting to hear back from the seller.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

I would also love to see a visual with the round coffee table in the center like PM said she wanted, with no glass. I'm not liking the rectangular tables already shown. It's a lovely room, and I do think the addition of the shelving unit, once painted and doors enclosed, will look great in there.

• User
    14 years ago

Good Luck Pam. I hope you get it.

• sunfeather
    14 years ago

Love the built in look, seems like you're on the right track - what about painting the ceiling a little lighter version of your wall rather than white? Just a thought. You have a beautiful home. I love your kitchen.

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh boy, I haven't made a decision on my cabinet yet but think I found another that might be a possibility! The other one I posted about is still available too. Just can't decide.

This is the new one:

It is slightly deeper than what is there now and would leave approximately 2 ft on each end width wise. I also considered putting bun feet on it, however I like the idea of it sitting on the floor so the dust bunnies don't hide under there. The actual dimensions are as follows:

Top - width 13"
    height 38.5"
    length 97"

Bottom - width 23"
    height 30"
    bottom 113"

I am mainly interested in the bottom, as the top wouldn't be big enough for my tv. I am thinking that I could repurpose the top to make it work adding additional pieces and painting it all out in another color, leaving the wood top the color it is. It provides oodles of storage, but no drawers. Not so sure that is a concern though.

Any thoughts? If you think it would work, what would you consider paying for a piece like this?

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, the first option of cabinets is no longer available. I rechecked after I posted here and the ad is still up, but under the ad is says sold.

So I am guess I have this to think about or continue to hunt for something?

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• User
    14 years ago

Pam, I have no clue on what price I'd pay for such a piece, but if you really think you'd be happy without drawers and the price is right even without using the top then go for it.
    How much are they asking if you don't mind my asking?

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The person selling it bought the condo and the PO refused to take it with them. He wants it gone cause it is too big and its not his style. He said to make him an offer.

This cabinet appears to be ideal for storage and size wise for the room, would work (I think?)

I emailed the seller but haven't heard back yet ...

• User
    14 years ago

Well heck, since it's not his and he wants rid of it, anything you offer plus the fact you'll be moving it, is a bonus to him. He should have to pay YOU to remove it. I'd ask to see it before you make an offer too.

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

While I waited for the seller to email me back regarding my offer I decided to tape it up on the wall to see what the dimensions are like on that wall. This is roughly how it would fit into the room:

The cabinet is only 30" tall. Do you think that is too low? The one that is currently there is 33". If it was centered on the wall it leaves 26" on each side. Between the front of the cabinet and the couch arm there would be 13".

I emailed the seller and offered him $50 without seeing it in person, he came back with a counter of $75! I'm thinking I should jump in the car and go take a look.

Justgotabme, thanks for piping in regarding the cabinets I'm considering. I really appreciate your comments. I was hoping a few others would jump in with an opinion too. The price is right, but I don't know if the style or size is. Any PS's out there willing to help me?

• seww
    14 years ago

Go get it!
    For that price if you change your mind you could easily resell it and make a mint!
    Sue

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Get it! it will be great!

• User
    14 years ago

Since the photo of the cabinet wasn't straight I had to "draw" it. Hope this helps Pam. I like it.
    {{!gwi}}

• dragon_fly
    14 years ago

I loved it! I wish I could get one, I hope you were able to get it.

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not yet ... I emailed the seller to arrange a time to go over. I have went back & forth about buying this piece for several reasons. First, it will have so much presence in the room and I'm not sure it's the right one. I also know that most expect to see all "new" espresso mass produced furniture in my house and this piece isn't that. I am torn between styles but know that I love the distressed look more. I once had an uncle who came into my house years back when I decorated country and antiques. He said "it looks like an 80 yr old lives here". I was crushed and DON'T want to repeat hearing that comment again.

Follow up as soon as I get back from the seller's house.

• User
    14 years ago

Pam, if you don't feel it in your heart don't get it. And never worry about what others will think. It's your home.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

It is a good size and it is worth painting it to get the look you want. Painting it and changing the hardware could change the look of the piece quite a bit, if thats what you want.

• pmartin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I really like it, but do wonder what others will think in their head when they see it, especially before it is repainted! Eventually we will wall mount the tv and build an upper cabinet for the top very similar to the virtuals from Squirrel. I am going to check out original top portion to see if there is anything that I can do with it.

Palimpsest: The walls are staying the current color BM late wheat. I was thinking a creamy color, green color or Black with distressed edges? I would definetely change out the hardware, but not sure what or where I'd place the new ones. Any suggestions?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would probably put the new hardware in the same, centered location. You may need to see it in the room before you can finalize the paint color. I dunno, for me part of the fun is taking something that some people think is ugly and making it work, and work well;-)

• User
    14 years ago

I was beginning to wonder if you really liked it or was just hoping it would work. I know it can be scary getting something that needs changing. But the size, by your tape and my virtual seems to fit well. Personally I'm with palimpsest and think it's the thrill of making something rather ugly into something wonderful. Also I feel it's nice when others like my home, but if they don't then it's no biggy. We all don't like the same things. If we did life would be pretty boring with everyones homes looking the same. All of us dressing like, wearing our hair the same...etc.