SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Please, any idea for a magically disappearing door?

plllog
14 years ago

One of the things that I keep putting off, but have to get done, is the dining room door from the kitchen. One of my goals with the remodel was to get it out of the way. But none of the ideas seem to work.

Important: I WANT A DOOR. I do not like living with an open kitchen and do not want people seated at my dining table to be able to see into the kitchen.

On the kitchen side is a passage I'm calling "butler's pantry" with stemware cabinets on the west and a serving counter on the east, with service ware storage below, and full depth cabinets above. The doorway is 38" wide.

A pocket door wouldn't work. Neither would a wall mounted sliding door (sometimes called a barn door). There are structural impediments. And I don't want the mechanism on the dining room side (besides what it would do to the switches, moldings, etc.). A standard swinging door mechanism takes up too much of the doorway. I need to be able to carry trays through. My GC though to use a double swing, restaurant style hinge. I don't mind the looks of it, but I'm going to want it to be open a lot of the time. He also suggested doing doubles of the same, but that just seems like double the bother to me.

So then I decided to just go back to a regular old door. And got really depressed over it. It wasn't a solution at all. An alternative would be to do a screen more than a door, and make it thinner, with translucent panels, and a pull instead of a lock set, which may be a bit better, but it's still there.

So...how do I get one of those science fiction doors that dematerialize when you approach them then become solid again when you've passed?

Comments (34)