SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newsouthernbelle_gw

Finally Posting the Layout... Suggestions (long)

NewSouthernBelle
12 years ago

This is long so feel free to come back to it or skim as you see fit. And if it is just too long to get any responses, I will divide it and post by "Areas" of the kitchen. I wanted to give plenty of background information in hope of heading off some immediate questions. This was also a brain-dump for me and a way to get everything written out and on paper (because I will probably have to refer back to it during this long process):

Goal of Kitchen Addition and Remodel �

Open up the kitchen, make it better for entertaining, create keeping room for guests/kids/husband to hang out in while I cook, gain counter space & storage for small appliances and miscellaneous "stuff" in the kitchen, eliminate the two existing corner "black holes" and create better work spaces to avoid congested areas (current sink, prep area, microwave and fridge are all together in existing kitchen).

About Me and My Family �

Primarily we are a one cook family BUT my husband does virtually all the clean up and sometimes that is happening while I am cooking. We have two small kids (1.5 and 3.5) and we hope to have a third kid sometime after the kitchen remodeling is completed next spring/summer (but no, I am not pregnant). That being said, there are likely to be small cooking helpers in the kitchen and hopefully one day our kitchen might truly be a two (or three) cook kitchen but that is certainly a long ways off. And yes, I do like to cook and make most lunches at home and 80% of our dinners here too.

We entertain casually a lot - probably have friends over for dinner (or lunch and playdates) at least once or twice a week, which is part of the reason why I want the keeping room. The keeping room is being converted from what is currently the breakfast room and yes, it is small but it is going to have to work because we have a beautiful deck just beyond the bay windows.

Summary � Key Point Phrases:

White, Bright, Light & Open

Clean & Classic

Casual but Elegant

Great for Entertaining, Cooking and Raising a Family now and in the future

Basic & Background (but might not matter) �

Our house is a traditional two-story colonial, built in 1979. We have painted over all the dark wood trim and gotten rid of the cheap paneling though so other than it being 4-sided brick, nothing about it says 1979 (even the kitchen b/c I repainted all the cabinets when we moved in 6 years ago.)

The current kitchen ends where the Powder Room wall is drawn. This load-bearing wall will be removed and a beam resting on another beam that will extend from the garage wall to the inside corner of the addition, (like a T) will be installed. The new kitchen and breakfast area will be roughly 12' and 14' x 29' feet.

I colored-coded this layout thinking it would be easier but I don't know if it is. I'll include the white version too for seeing the graph paper better.

Area A: Baking and Beverage

- Might have a beverage area on the end closest to the keeping room but we are not going to have a separate beverage or wine fridge. Just move everything we have stored in the wet bar to this new area.

- Double Ovens on other edge - cabinetry in between primarily to hold baking stuff, including Kitchen Aid Mixer

Area B: "Pantry"

- Wide doorway, 40'', to dining room (currently a playroom and will be for several more years) is that too wide? Or excessive?

- Pantry-like area, ideally 18'' deep x 4' (12'' is too small, 24'' is too deep - I realize this means I will probably have to do custom cabinets, is this correct?) Will store small appliances (casserole dishes, serving platters, two crock pots, rice maker, pitchers, blender, salad spinner, salad bowl, etc) and some food

- End of it will be a 12'' upper cabinet on top and bottom, turned to face the main part of the kitchen. This cabinet will house a phone on the counter top and all kinds of other stuff (junk drawer, message page, music devise connected to speakers for the kitchen+ areas, small set of tools, medicine, maybe cookbooks??)

- Hallway toward Powder Room, basement stairs and living room

Area C: Countertop and Storage

- Push existing wall into Powder Room by 12''

- Might put Microwave Drawer here

- Stand Alone 15'' Ice-Maker

- Counter top to have: Coffee Maker, Can Opener, Toaster, - Maybe in an Appliance Garage but I need the counter space for overflow while I am at the cooktop

- Lowers might be a kid-friendly / accessible area for snacks and cups/bowls

- Uppers for coffee mugs and miscellaneous small dishes

Area D: Cooking, Refrigerator, Desk

To have enough traffic flow space, I'm widening the kitchen in the addition. I can't widen it any further into the powder room so that is why this wall is more recessed but I think it will work to create a little alcove around the cooktop which will allow others to get by me and do dishes while I am cooking.

- 15'' on each side of the 36'' cooktop. Is that enough space? I'd like more but just don't think I can swing it and the island is right behind so it will probably be fine.

- 15'' upper cabinets - cups and glasses in one, dishes in the other??

- 36'' French Door Refrigerator (which we already own)

- 18'' countertop height desk facing the side of the fridge (a little weird I know but we really do use the desk in the kitchen and I want it close to the kitchen table so I can be on the computer while my kids are eating meals, having snacks or doing craft projects at the kitchen table. Yes, it is also too close to the right French door to the Screen Porch but 95% of the time we will just use the left door and when both doors are open, no one will be sitting at the desk.)

Area E: Kitchen Table

We have a somewhat large kitchen table - 5 x 4', four chairs and a bench seat that will back up to the wall with a large picture window, flanked by double hung's on each side. We eat dinner there as a family almost nightly and I serve breakfast and lunch to my kids and their friends several times during the week. Perhaps with the island seating, we won't use it as much for breakfast and lunch, but since my kids are still little, I'd prefer them to eat at the table for a few more years. (My youngest would probably fall off an island stools.)

Area F: The Island

I am SOOO excited about having a large island!

- Probably 4' x 10', maybe only 3.5' wide, maybe even 10.5' long if I could find one slab big enough to do the job. I want a big island but I don�t want it to be "too" big or excessive or cramp traffic flow in the kitchen. Working from the bottom of the page upward:

18'' Drawers (Ziploc Bags, Tupperware,)

24'' Dishwasher

36'' Sink base cabinet (actually sink is 33'')

15'' Double Trash Pullout

27'' Warming Drawer and other Drawers (might hold primary dishes?)

FYI - I am right handed, but my husband is left handed and since he does the dishes, he wants to keep the dishwasher to the left of the sink (which I am fine with b/c that is actually how it has been in every place I've lived.)

I'm also toying with the idea of two 18'' bookshelves on the edges. The one closest to the kitchen table would house kids craft stuff and the other cookbooks.

Should I do 12'' of storage on the backside of the island - like under/behind where the chairs push in? That would give me a little over 12'' of overhang/leg room? Is that enough? Is that storage worth the effort to get to?

Area G: Door to the Deck

I don't know exactly where the new door to the deck should go - I want to keep it away from the kitchen table for efficiency sake and traffic flow but I don't want it to interfere with the stools at the island. The dotted lines are the corner of the house that currently exists that we will need to "open" up. The deck is also two steps lower than the house so a landing has to be part of the equation.

Area H: New Screen Porch

A new screen porch, 10'x16' will be built to the right of the addition and attach to the house with another access door from the living room.

Here is pretty much the existing kitchen. I drew it before I decided to push into the powder room and the new screen porch so that "back wall" of the kitchen is different in the layout I'm proposing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan White Layout

Comments (11)