SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

Cabinetmaker 'divorce' is final!

babushka_cat
12 years ago

Had to report some progress. Sad that this feels like progress but it is!

Had a train wreck of a situation with a cabinetmaker, am so glad to be "divorced!" The cabinetmaker started out good and went precipitously off the deep end over time. Became a pain in the neck to deal with (very moody), asked for advance on milestones that had not yet been met (apparently experiencing major financial issues) and made a variety of basic errors: nine of the twelve shelves did not fit into the cabinets, one cabinet missing shelves entirely, one cabinet built to incorrect dimensions, three drawer bottoms were to have 1/2 inch plywood bottoms but they were delivered with 1/4 inch. The implosion occurred when he screwed up the finishing on all the door and drawer fronts that required a complete rebuild. He delivered primed doors and drawer fronts where first layer was painted RED (cabs are to be painted BM White Dove), sanded against the grain, built doors with a mix of cherry and maple when contract called for maple and the cherry started leeching tannins which bled though the primer. Thankfully the project scope was spelled out in detail in the agreement so I was able to hold his feet to the fire.

Had to negotiate the terms of ending the contract and it was quite stressful in the process. We did define an agreement that was acceptable by both parties (I do not pay him the last milestone, I return the old tannin-stained red doors and he is lucky I did not take him to small claims court!) but it was very stressful for several weeks. Lessons learned? Thank god I insisted on a well defined agreement. He did not have one, I wrote it and ultimately that document saved me! I do not want to work with a 1 man operation again, too risky if the man goes off the deep end. I checked references and saw two of his kitchens in person but this did not prevent what occurred. I was also very tired and burnt out from long work hours when I made my cabinetmaker selection. Thinking back on it there were subtle warning signs I did not heed (pressuring me to finalize agreement so he could get his first milestone going which meant a payment to him). Thank god I did not agree to give him an advance on his 3rd milestone payment or I would have taken a real financial loss on this situation. I had to incur extra costs to switch mid-project but it was at a point where I had to just cut my losses and move on in the interest of seeing a finished kitchen and my sanity return.

So thanks GW friends for listening and sharing your tales of accomplishments and also your tales of woe. I share this tale of woe in the hopes it will benefit someone else. Soon I hope to share a tale of a finished kitchen!

Comments (10)